Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Third POV

The next morning, Thranduil visited Miranda. She had yet to wake but when he got there, he found she was not alone. A maid stood at her bedside, looking down at her worried.

The elven King smiled but erased it from his face when he cleared his throat.

The maid jumped and spun around. Eyes widening, she whispered, "My Lord? What-?"

Lord Thranduil raised a hand to stop her. "I will tend to her. Go take care of your duties elsewhere." The maid nodded, bowed, and skittered away.

Once she was gone, Thranduil sat at Luna's bedside and held her left hand. His eyebrows furrowed as his hand brushed against something on her wrist. He gently turned her hand over and pushed back her sleeve.

Thranduil ran his hand over the long scar. Where did it come from? Did she-? No. There didn't seem to be any more, just the one. Maybe it was a long time ago? Maybe it wasn't even her fault?

Thranduil was so absorbed in his thoughts, he didn't even realize she had woken up. She looked at Thranduil, her eyes were blank, but she tried to force a small smile. Her smile faltered as she met his eyes.

She knew he had seen it. She closed her eyes, wishing she had pretended to sleep. She felt a hand on her cheek and opened her eyes. Her cold, dead stare hit his worried eyes. She tried again to force a smile, but it died on her lips. She wanted to close her eyes, but she couldn't look away.

"Luna," He finally spoke. "Talk to me."

She opened her mouth but closed it again. Instead, she did something she knew she couldn't take back.

"What do you want to know?" She thought to him. He stared at her dumbfounded. He thought back again to the previous night, it had been her. It wasn't his imagination.

"Everything," Thranduil said, when she recoiled, he continued, "Or as much as you are willing to share."

Luna closed her eyes. "Everything, huh?" She laughed airily. 

The elven king watched her, holding her hand gently. Suddenly, he was assaulted with memories that were not his own.

Watching Smaug fall from the sky. Her sadness when the fire in his breath and eyes died out. The battle. Watching as Thorin became cold on a bed of ice. Watching broken images of a prophecy he could not grasp. A orc pack racing toward her. Her arm raised in defense of her head. An axe swinging down. And amidst all the loneliness, anguish, and regret. There was a pool of calm, clear water. 

He wanted to pull away, but instead he gripped her hand tighter. Then from somewhere else, "What am I going to do with you?" "You'll never understand." "I scarified so much for you, but you're worthless." "I should have never agreed to take care of you." And then her voice, "I'll work harder. I promise I'll work harder."

Thranduil opened his eyes, he didn't even realize he had closed them. He wrapped his arms around Luna's small form. Tears flowing down both their cheeks.