Chapter 63

Chapter 63

Third POV

Chairs were moved around, and tables set while elves and dwarves mingled. Miranda and Arwen left to help Tauriel pin up her dress so she wouldn't trip on it again. All around the room people were chatting and sharing stories.

"Mithrandir," Lord Elrond greeted the aged wizard.

"My Lord Elrond," Gandalf returned the greeting with a nod of his head.

"I was quite surprised to find you to be the ring bearer. How did this come about?" The Lord of Rivendell asked, an amused eyebrow arched.

"Miranda sought me out and proposed the idea," The Gray Wanderer stated.

"I find it hard to believe that you agreed readily," Elrond mused.

"Indeed, I did not," The bearded man laughed. "However, she said something that reminded me of something I once told someone else."

"And what pray tell was that?" Elrond questioned.

"It will be a good experience for you, and most amusing for me," Mithrandir quoted.

"How very interesting indeed," Lord Elrond mused. "Dís Durin!" He called out, spotting the mother of the groom.

"Lord Elrond. It has been a very long time," She said, nodding her head in his direction.

"Have you visited the mountain?" Gandalf asked politely.

"I have returned to the halls of Erebor. The dwarvish kingdom will flourish under Dain's leadership. Though I am most curious why both of my son's abdicated the throne. It was most unlike them," Dís told them. The two men shared a look. "You know something."

Lord Elrond sighed, "I believe it was a request by someone else in the party. Though who it was, I cannot say."

Dís Durin's eyes narrowed, "Cannot or will not."

"Will not," Elrond replied after a moments silence.

Before the daughter of Durin could say anything more, the doors opened to reveal the Bride and her Brides Maids. "May I have everyone's attention?" Slowly the room quieted down and Tauriel continued. "Food and drink have been prepared, if everyone would find a seat, we may begin serving."

Chairs scraped across the ground as people got situated in their seats and a light buzz of noise filled the room once again.

Before long maids brought out plates of salad. The lettuce leaves were a bed for hard boiled egg, pickled onions, sliced tomato, diced peppers, and feta. It was seasoned with salt, pepper, and drizzled with balsamic glaze.

The first course was a choice of fish or chicken seared with pepper and lemon and served atop smoked gouda melted in rice and sliced apples on the side. White wine was paired with this course.

The second course was ground lamb seasoned with fennel, crushed chili pepper, and cinnamon. They were wrapped in lettuce leaves and topped with chopped green onions. It was served with garlic naan and carrots. There was also the option of a red wine or beer.

Finally, dessert was served. It was a chocolate cake that had layers of chocolate ganache and white chocolate mousse between the thin slices of cake. It was served with three syrup topping options; a scarlet raspberry syrup, a dark chocolate syrup, and a white chocolate syrup. This course was served with an option of red wine or mead.

As the sounds of delight rose around the room, so did the sound of a light clinking. Soon eyes from all around the room had turned to look at the bridal table.

"Now that everyone has finished their main courses, it is time for the speeches. First up, we have Fili," Miranda stated, looking down a short sheet of paper.

The crowd turned to the Brother of the Groom and Best Man as he stood. Clearing his throat, he began speaking, "When I saw my twin brother forming a connection with an elf. I honestly didn't know what he saw in her. But now I know that he saw the world, his world. He is a jokester, but he is a good guy, take care of him." He said, looking right at Tauriel. She nodded at him. Seeming to have just realized what he had said, Fili's ears turned red and he sat back down.

"Next up is Arwen," Miranda said, leading the group when no one stood up on their own.

The brown-haired elf stood and read from a piece of parchment clutched tightly in her hands. "I haven't known either Tauriel or Kili very long, but I have seen how they interact with their friends, their family, and each other. I am very honored to have been a part of this celebratory event. I hope to continue to be friends with both of these wonderful people for many years to come."

Dís Durin stood up next. Turning to face Tauriel she began speaking, "My son is childish at best. At worst, he is a prankster. When he left with Thorin as a member of the company to Erabor I worried that he would not return. I gave him a promise stone so that he might come back to me.

When the day came that Fili came back home alone, I feared the worst. Imagine my surprise when Fili tells me that he had fallen in love and would be coming along a bit later. So, I waited. Six months later, he came back, with him, was an elf. I was startled at first, I must admit, but she was lovely. Independent, intelligent, with a great sense of humor.

I couldn't even pretend not to love her. Tauriel, you are a great person. You are the best thing that could have happened to my son. I couldn't have asked for a better daughter-in-law."

Tauriel teared up hearing her mother-in-law speaking so highly of her. Miranda stood up again and began her speech. "I knew Kili before he met Tauriel. He was immature, but kind and caring. I also knew Tauriel before she met Kili, she was strong, the captain the guard, but she was quiet about herself and her past. I wish I could say I was the one who brought them together, but that is not the case. They were inexplicably drawn to one another.

Being the maid of honor for this event was stressful, but it was worth it, and more, to see you two finally tie the knot. Over the past ten years, I have watched you get to know each other, and meet each other's family.

I have watched them support each other and I have watched them fight. And having seen them laugh at the altar, I know that these two will last until the end of their days."

As everyone was clapping, Kili stood and without waiting for things to settle down, began speaking. "I first met Tauriel when we were trekking through Mirkwood attempting to reach Erabor. She killed all the children of Ungoliant around me and then proceeded to lock me in the dungeons. Even at that moment, she shone like starlight. You could search all of Erabor and she would still be the brightest thing that shines. She is an amazing elleth; strong, smart, funny, headstrong. She has saved my life more than once and I will be eternally grateful for her and all that she has done.

Tauriel is my one and only, I promise to be there for her just as she has for me. I will cherish her, care for her, and trust her, because I love her and that will never change."

The claps and awes dwindled as Tauriel stood, holding onto Kili's hand and looking right into his eyes as if they were the only two in the room. "When Kili left to join the rest of the company at the mountain, he gave me the promise stone that his mother had given him saying it was for our promise. He did not say what we were promising but quietly we both knew. Later when he proposed he gave me a ring that he had forged himself. He had told me to meet him at night and there we stood, under the stars.

Now, under the watchful gaze of all present, I vow to love, cherish, and care for Kili, a descendant of Durin, with my entire being for as long as I shall live. He is my one and only in this life. I will continue to fight next to him no matter where the battle is, or where the road takes us."

Cheers and claps echoed around the room. Before long, more drinks were poured, refilled, and refilled again. Stories bounced off the marble pillars and the moon was well into the sky before people started leaving.