Chapter 52

Chapter 52

Miranda's POV

We didn't talk for the rest of the day and into the next morning. Bilbo refused to see reason and whenever I brought up the ring, he would scream and yell or dismiss me outright. It hurt to be at odds with him, I had been there when he was but an infant and yet, I had missed so much. I had not been there when his parents had died. I had not been there when the young boy grew out of wishing to go on adventures. I was trying to be there now. But perhaps it would be best to leave things as they are now and come back another time. However, waiting will only aggravate the problem.

"Miranda," Bilbo said, startling me out of my thoughts. "You weren't there then, but there was a time before when Thorin almost died."

I smiled inwardly at his awkward attempt at breaking the ice. I horrified expression painted on my face, I asked, "When?"

"After the goblin tunnels. Apparently, the Goblin King had sent word to Azog, that awful white orc and a small band of orcs cornered us on a cliff. They all had Wargs and they treed us. We attempted to fight back with flaming pine-cones, curtesy of Gandalf, but some of the dwarves lost their balance. We were in a spot when he climbed down that tree, took up a log and ran at Azog. It wasn't a fair fight. His Warg bit down on Thorin and when Thorin didn't get back up, Azog backed off, giving some sort of order to his minions. When I saw the orc try to kill him, I ran down and defended him. Some of the others ran and joined me. Then the eagles came, swooping and knocking the orcs and their Wargs off the cliff. They took us far away and then Gandalf saved Thorin with a spell."

I stared at him smiling, "Thank you for saving him, if only for some time. He had much to accomplish."

"There is far more he should have accomplished," Bilbo said sadly.

"Yes," I agreed. "But you helped him and that is enough." I was silent and when he did not speak further, I added, "But now I am concerned for you."

"Not this again," Bilbo moaned. "Can you not just leave it be?"

"No, I cannot," I stated. "I cannot stand by and watch one of my friends become one with the darkness."

"Oh, for the love of-! I'm not going to turn into that creepy little thing!" He shouted, throwing his hands in the air.

"That creature was once something similar to a hobbit. So influenced by the ring was he that he killed his own brother," I spoke my voice even and calm.

"No," Bilbo denied, shaking his head. "You're lying. You are just trying to scare me into giving it to you so you can have it all for yourself! Well I won't! I won't give it to you! It's not yours! It's mine, all mine!"

I frowned at him, my eyes flashing gold. "I dare you to accuse me of thievery one more time Bilbo Baggins." His eyes widened and he shrunk into his chair. "I have no need or use for a ring imbued with dark magic. Such a thing shan't even graze my fingertips and you wish to accuse me of trickery and theft of such an item?!"

"Y-you," Bilbo stuttered. "You are not welcome here anymore. Leave."

"I will return when you are more accepting of my information," I stated, rising from my seat. I had no intention of staying longer with someone who refused to listen to reason and good advice, not again.

"No," Bilbo stated firmly. "You won't. Not without an invitation from me, and that is something you won't recieve."