Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Miranda's POV

I slowly entered the dining area outside. The setting sun kissed my hair causing it to shine copper and gold. I walked down to where Elrond was sitting. When he saw me, he smiled.

"Luna!" As he called my name, many heads turned towards me. Among them, were Kili and Tauriel who openly gaped at me.

I don't wear red very often, but it makes me feel closer to Smaug. The thought of him no longer being on this earth with me made me want to cry, but I held back. There would be time enough for that later.

"You look like you are walking through fire," Arwen stated.

"You look beautiful," Tauriel commented.

"Thank you both," I replied with a smile.

"If only Thorin could have seen you in that dress," Kili's thoughtless comment cut me like a knife. I heard a smack. I turned to see that Tauriel had wacked his shoulder. I ignored them and reached for a bunch of grapes.

"So that's the dwarf you were trying to impress," Arwen said. "Where is he." She obviously didn't know yet. Why? I did not know.

"Dead," I responded, keeping my voice even as I picked at my food. I suddenly didn't feel so hungry.

"Oh, Luna, I'm-" She began to apologize but I raised my hand to stop her.

"Please don't," I begged. It's my fault, I couldn't protect him. I'm the one who should be appologizing. I turned to Elrond, "Lord Elrond, I suddenly do not feel so well, may I be excused?"

"Of course," He replied; I hated the look he gave me. One of pity. I didn't need pity. I didn't know what to do with it.

I stood up and bowed, "Thank you my Lord." Then I turned and left.

Instead of returning to my room, I wandered around for a bit. I soon found myself outside. I wandered until I found a clearing with a stream running through. I sat down on the grass and ran my hands through the water. It was warmer than I had expected. I felt a tear run down my face.

"You know someone is going to have to wash that for you," A voice came from behind me.

"I can wash it myself thanks," I replied.

"Yeah right," the guard from earlier scoffed.

More tears made their way down my face. "Could you please leave, I don't need this right now," I said, my voice breaking.

"Aw, what's wrong Princess? Did someone call you names?" He taunted.

"I can't deal with this right now. Please, just go." I begged, letting my head fall into my hands.

This seemed to actually worry him, "Hey, look, I'm sorry. Will you tell me what's wrong?"

"He's dead because of me," I whispered.

"What?" He asked, leaning closer to me.

"He's dead because of me!" I yelled. "I'm sorry," I immediately apologized, upon seeing his startled face.

"Who is?" The guard asked, sitting down next to me.

"Thorin," I spoke, my voice barely above a whisper.

He placed a hand on my shoulder. "What happened?"