Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Miranda's POV

"This really isn't necessary," I told Lord Elrond as he sat me down. He ignored me and began telling the nurse that he wanted her to do a check up on me and report to him her findings. Then he got up and walked out.

"You don't have to do this," I told the woman once he was out of earshot. "You can just say that you found three cracked ribs that healed nicely, and you don't even have to do anything."

"I'm sorry my Lady," the woman replied. "But I can't do that. Now please remove your clothes."

"Can't you just check me with my clothes on?" I asked hopefully.

She sighed and nodded, "Alright. It seems that your legs are fine, let's start with your back." She felt me up and when she pressed into where the orc had stabbed me repeatedly, I breathed out and she pulled away quickly. "Did that hurt?" She asked.

I shook my head, "No. It's good, because that is where I got stabbed."

The woman looked at me with shock and felt around there again. "But it feels fine?"

"Yes," I replied. She shrugged and continued. When she reached my wrists, she stopped and squeezed them again. Her brows furrowed and she frowned.

She rolled up my right sleeve and then she rolled up my left sleeve and gasped. The large scar on my arm had faded, but a little ridge remained making its decent from my elbow to the middle of my forearm. "Where did this come from?" She asked, accusation in her tone.

"Orcs," I said simply. When she raised her eyebrow, I reiterated, "On my way here, I was set on by orcs. They surprised me and I didn't have a shield."

"Oh," she said quietly. "How did it happen?"

I sighed but told her anyway, "While I was washing the blood off of some of my clothes after the Battle of the Five Armies, I was set upon by some orcs, perhaps they thought I would be easy prey. I didn't have much of a chance to react. I raised my arm to protect my head and turned around and incinerated them." The nurse looked startled. "The orc that was attacking me dropped his weapon as he attempted to put out the flames. The weapon slid down my arm as it fell. I did manage to doge most of the attack, but..." I let my sentence trail off. "That reminds me," I added, "Is it possible to remove them?"

She shook her head, "No, but if you leave them alone, it looks like they will heal."

I nodded, "Thank you. But could you please not tell that part to Lord Elrond? I don't want him to worry."

She sighed, "Yes. I can understand why you don't want him to know."

"Thank you," I told her with a smile.