Chapter 46

Chapter 46

Third POV

Over the next few days Miranda rode to Bree, she didn't need to take as long as she did, but she wanted to recall the places she visited with Thorin and the company. The stone trolls stood still, statues of the past. Miranda noticed that the trees around where they were at were beginning to thin, soon, they would be visible from the road.

Miranda reached Bree that night. The place she first met Balin, how was he doing now? Was he still in the Mountain or had he gone to take back Moria? The past haunted her, but now she had to focus on the future, but could she do it?

~*~

The next morning, Miranda waited until about noon to get up. She hadn't slept in for a while, and it felt good. Miranda made her way out of her room to get some food when she came across a familiar head of white hair.

"You look familiar," the innkeeper said, as she asked for a plate of food.

"I'm sure a lot of people look familiar," She countered, not wanting to betray herself.

"No. I have seen you before, it has been over a year, but-" The man stopped. "You came in one night, asked for a key and a slice of bread. Are you off to The Shire again?"

Knowing she couldn't keep up the charade, she answered, "You have a good memory. Yes. I'm off to visit an old friend of mine. Any news about?"

The innkeeper smiled, "None here Las, not many ill folk come to the Prancing Pony these days."

Miranda smiled from under her hood, "That's good." She took her tray and left for a table.

~*~

Back in Rivendell, Aysukoriay was being a handful and Elrond had reached out to Gandalf and Mirkwood.

"You say that the future of Middle Earth is at stake, but the person who foretold this demise is not here?" Gandalf asked.

"Yes. Had other business," Lord Elrond said, glancing at Thranduil and Legolas.

"Sight of the future is not a common gift. Who is it that you trust so?" Thranduil asked suspiciously.

"They wish to remain anonymous, at least for the time being," Lord Elrond said.

Gandalf hummed and pulled out his pipe. "Such sight into the future. It is not clear."

Lord Elrond nodded, "Indeed. It is not. I ask, that the creature Gollum be tracked down. From the way he talked, I imagine that Gollum knows something."

Thranduil nodded, "Legolas, you are to go and retrieve the creature."

The Elven Prince bowed to his father, "Yes, I will set out to the goblin tunnels first thing in the morning."

Thranduil nodded, looking pleased. "See to it."