Chapter 54

Chapter 54

Third POV

Miranda continued to teach and train Aysukoriay. Eventually, she came to spend more time outside. Elrond had given up trying to find out what she was trying to prevent, instead he focused on taking care of Arwen. Tauriel and Kili had decided to get engaged and Miranda had never gone to Lothlorien in all these years. She never wrote to her Naneth either, after all, what would she say? Hey Naneth, hope you are doing well. I wanted to let you know that I'm not dead. I'm not going to come home for a while yet. Bye. Yeah, that didn't sound right. Nothing she wrote down ever sounded right. It was like trying to write to someone who was dead. What do you even say to someone you barely remember someone who is almost unknown to you?

"So where are you going again?" Arwen asked, trying to keep the door shut on a nearly full-grown dragon.

"To visit a friend," Miranda responded evasively, climbing up Rochben's saddle.

"She isn't going to be happy about being left here again," Arwen stated, jolting forward when there was an especially strong shove to the other side of the door.

"Yes," Miranda responded. "I know."

"Why don't you take her with you this time?" Arwen asked. "It wouldn't hurt you."

"But it might hurt her. I could never forgive myself if she got hurt. Especially after Smaug. I can't let that happen again," Miranda responded, sounding haunted.

"Why? Why do you still blame yourself?" Arwen questioned her as she rode away. "Why?"

"Because," Miranda whispered. "If I had never read those prophecies to him, he might still be alive today. And that scares me. It is a future I don't know. It would change so much; it is a variable I haven't planned for. She is a variable that changes the future in a way I cannot plan for."

~*~

Miranda approached the circular green door, the mark still clearly visible against the painted wood.

She knocked once, twice, and, "I'm coming! I'm coming! Wait just a moment!" Called a voice from in inside.

The door opened and there stood Bilbo wearing a robe which he pulled tighter. "I have no business with you. Good day." As he pulled the door shut, Miranda shoved her foot between the door and the doorframe. "I told you not to show up without an invite again. Leave." Bilbo ordered gruffly, attempting to slam the door shut.

"I'm afraid I cannot," Miranda replied.

The hobbit sighed, "And why is that?"

"I believe there is a promise that must be upheld," The young elf princess stated coolly.

"And what promise is that?" Bilbo asked hotly.

"There is a tree that must be planted into the earth," Miranda stated. "Do you remember?"

Bilbo stared into Miranda's eyes and then sagged, "Yes. I remember. But you leave tomorrow."

"Of course," Miranda replied, smiling softly. "Whatever you say."