Chapter 53

Chapter 53

Miranda's POV

"I bid you a good day and a swift ride from whence you came," Bilbo clipped, the hard glint in his normally soft eyes which followed my every movement as I placed the last of my things on Rochben's back. The door to the hobbit home slammed shut and a lock clicked in place before I had a chance to say goodbye. I looked sadly at the door one last time and kicked Rochben into gear, riding back to Rivendell.

"Halt!" A familiar voice commanded. "Who goes there?!"

"Nrimir, do you really want to go through this again?" I asked amused as he fumbled with his bow, as though he couldn't lower it fast enough.

"My Lady, please," He said, sidestepping into a bow so that I could pass.

I urged Rochben into a walk, taking in the scenery around me. The green and gold trees filtered the light from the sun. As the wind blew the leaves gently, the rays of sunlight danced playfully across the mossy, forest floor. After a tense argument and hard ride back, I let myself relax.

"I'm surprised the Lady Galadriel did not bade you stay longer," Lord Elrond said, walking down the path towards me.

"I did not go visit my Naneth," I stated.

Elrond's eyes widened and darkened. "Why not?"

"It is not the right time yet," I hedged.

"Then when is the right time. Have you not made her wait long enough?!" He questioned. I remained silent. "You are avoiding a journey home. Why?"

I lowered my gaze, "I am not ready to face her." I whispered.

"She longs to see you," Elrond told me.

"Do you speak with her?" I asked.

"Sometimes," He replied mildly. "If you continue to refuse to visit her, you should at least write to her." I lowered my head farther and nodded. He was right. "Come. Let me help you down." But that didn't mean I had to do it.

"Did anything interesting happen when I was gone?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

Elrond seemed to sag ever-so-slightly, then straightened up so quickly I questioned whether it had happened at all. "Thranduil came to visit, he left early this morning."

"It seems I was late in leaving then," I said, casually.

Elrond nodded and added, watching me closely as if gauging my reaction, "Mithrandir left two days ago." I nodded. "Along with Thranduil's son, Legolas."

I stopped walking and stared at Elrond, "Legolas was here?" My voice broke slightly and I coughed to cover it up. He nodded, still watching me. "Oh. I see." Not knowing what else to say, I excused myself and took Rochben to the stables.