Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Miranda's POV

I ate my dinner in my bedroom that night, but I couldn't sleep. In the end I decided to go for a walk. I wandered around the palace and made my way outside.

I twirled water around in my hands, moving it with the rhythm of the tide. I wondered silently to myself where Legolas was and how he was doing. Had he already given up on love? Did I even have a chance?

Suddenly, I lost control of the water and it splashed back into the stream. I gasped in pain, gripping my chest. Why was this happening to me?

Once my breathing was back to normal, I got back up and continued wandering.

"What are you doing here?" Said a voice from the shadows. I turned towards the sound as Nrimir stepped out. "You should go back. Here, I'll walk you."

I shook my head, "No, thank you though. I'll walk back myself. Besides, you shouldn't leave your post." He frowned at me but agreed anyways. I waited until he was out of sight, then turned and walked in a different direction.

I eventually found my way back to the library. It was dark, but nothing a few candles didn't fix.

Before I knew it, the sun had risen. I decided it was time to go back to my room, if only to change.

Once I got there, Isoye was already there. "Where were you?" She asked, running up to me, worry written across her face. "No matter. Come, let's get you cleaned up."

She dressed me in an ash-gray high-low dress that had half-sleeves, a V-neckline, and silver embroidery. She put on my white jadeite bracelets and my silver diadem. She passed me a silver clutch and ash-gray lace-up ballerina flats. Then she sent me on my way without another word.

Without even thinking, I walked back to the library. A maid brought me breakfast and news that we were having guests from Mirkwood today. I nodded, only half-listening.

Later, the same maid came in and told me that I was requested for lunch. I nodded and followed her out.

~*~

When we arrived at the outdoor dining area, I almost stopped in my tracks and turned around. The two elven Kings turned to look at me.

"Luna," Lord Thranduil said before anyone else could. I looked around the room for a moment before lowering my head. "I'm sorry Luna, he doesn't want to see me yet," Thranduil said, reading into my downcast face.

I nodded, whispering, "I understand," then sat down, not even bothering to greet anyone else in the room.

I felt eyes on me and looked up to find everyone staring at me. I blushed and looked back down, suddenly shy.