Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Miranda's POV

For the next week, I basically existed in the library. This morning was no different. I got up and Isoye helped me dress and did my hair. Today, she had roped me into wearing a short, pale-pink dress that cinched at the waist. It had long-sleeves that cinched at the wrists and had a slight frill on the seams. The dress rested off of my shoulders and had a black layer of tulle that started at the waist and fell to my ankles.

"It's beautiful," I told Isoye, twirling in front of the mirror. But don't you think it's a little inappropriate?" I asked, looking at the hem of the pale-pink skirt that ended just above my knees.

"It's perfect," she replied. "It just needs a few accessories." She motioned for me to sit down and started on my hair.

When she was done, she had put some of my hair up into a little bun and let the rest fall in waves down my back. I tried to get up, but she pushed me back down. "Wait just a moment," she ordered.

Isoye pulled out a familiar coral and jade ornament and a matching simple stick. She placed them both into my bun and passed me a pair of coral studs. I was about to put them in my ears when she took them away and placed a black and pink choker around my neck. "Much better," she muttered.

Isoye then helped me lace up a pair of black heeled sandals, placed some pale-pink rouge on my cheeks and lips. Isoye asked me to turn in a circle then she nodded at me, "This looks great on you."

"What's with all of the extra work?" I asked. "I look like I'm going on a date."

"Maybe you are," she replied with a sly smile.

"It would be the first I heard of it," I retorted. "Besides, I don't want to go on a date with anyone but..." I trailed off, what was I going to say?

"But?" Isoye coxed.

"Nevermind," I said and then changed the subject. "You have changed a lot in the time I have been here. What happened to that shy, innocent little maid who was afraid to call me by my name? Now you're even ordering me around."

"She met you," Isoye replied.

"Hmm, I'm going to take that as a compliment," I said, putting my finger on the side of my chin and tilting my head slightly.

"I would think that you were sick if you didn't," she responded, rolling her eyes playfully at me. "Go now!" She continued, shoving me out of my room. "I have chores to start on and you need to go to breakfast."

"Alright, alright," I said, putting my hands in the air. "I'm going. I'm going."

"Bye!" Isoye called cheerily before slamming the door in my face.

"Bye," I whispered.