Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Miranda's POV

I felt exhausted as the last flame escaped my mouth. I collapsed against whomever was holding me, breathing heavily.

I turned away and coughed up blood.

"Luna!" The voice exclaimed. Wait, I know that voice.

I turned, my tired eyes to meeting Thranduil's worried ones. Unable to muster the strength to wipe the blood off my face I smiled a small, genuine smile. "Thranduil," I whispered.

"Yes?" he asked, tightening his hold on me. I felt my eyes drift close and he shook me awake. "Luna, don't die on me." His eyes were clouded.

If I could have thought straight, I probably would have thought he was thinking about his dead wife. Instead I thought of Legolas, not realizing I was sending it to Thranduil.

I watched his eyes widen. "Luna," my name softly spoken, I hated myself for wishing it was someone else.

"Don't worry," I said aloud, forcing a light airy laugh, "it takes more than that to kill me!"

For some reason, this made him look sadder. I wondered what he was thinking, but I didn't have the mental strength to check.

"Thran-" I tried to say, but I was too tired.

"Hush," he spoke softly to me. The King of Mirkwood was gone, in his place was a worried father.

~*~

Thranduil held me for a long time. Eventually, he got up and carried me to my room. He laid me down on my bed and went to walk away. I grasped his sleeve, not wanting him to leave but not wanting to ask him to stay.

He gently pulled my hand away and placed it back under the sheets. "I'll be back in the morning nin -iel."

I nodded, and closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep.

~*~ (Thranduil's POV)

I had arrived back in my room, but despite all of my efforts, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about what had just happened.

I had been pounding on the library door with Arwen, begging her to come out. But there had been no response, none at all. Not even the turning of pages.

Arwen left to look elsewhere but I trailed behind her. I'm glad I did, who knows when we would have found her otherwise.

When she called me Legolas, I couldn't help my heart plummeting. He should have been here; it should have been him with her tonight. If only I hadn't been so hard on him. If only I had been more understanding, maybe, he wouldn't have left.

I was surprised when she leaned into me and even more when she shot fire from her mouth. Not because I forgot she could, but because I had been reminded of when I lost my wife. 

When I told her not to die, I could have sworn that I heard her voice in my head. Was I imagining things? Her words after seemed forced, but the smile was genuine. I don't know what to think.

Her words. I would need to check in the morning. But no matter what happens in the future, I have accepted her as my daughter. Nothing would ever change that not even my own son.