Chapter 60

Chapter 60

Miranda's POV

A few months before the wedding, I woke up to shouting coming from the hallway.

"Nrimir! Wait!"

"I don't have anything to say to you. Let me go!"

"You might not have anything to say, but I have plenty!"

"If you are unhappy with how things are, take the complaint to the head maid."

"You know that's not the problem! If you would just stop to listen."

"I am a guard of the royal palace. I don't have time to listen to the complaints and opinions of some common maid."

"You, you don't mean that."

"I do."

A few moments later, Isoye trudged into the room. When our eyes met, hers widened.

"Did you hear the shouting?" I asked.

Her face paled. "N-no." She stuttered.

I raised my eyebrow at her and she visibly sagged, pulling at her sleeve as she looked down. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"No," She stated flatly.

She picked out a simple floral wrap-dress, flats and left the room without uttering another word.

I knew better than to chase after her. She needed her space. I applied pink rouge to my cheeks and lips and left my room as well.

"Miranda!" Tauriel exclaimed standing up from her seat at the table. "There you are! We have much to discuss! Come!"

"But what about food?" I asked, looking longingly at the plates of fruit and pastries.

"I'll have some sent up. Come, we have no time to waste!" She stated, grasping my arm and leaving the room. I turned back around and nodded at a kitchen maid who curtsied in return.

Tauriel dragged me up the stairs and into her and Kili's bedroom.

"Is it alright for me to be here?" I questioned, looking around the room. "What if Kili comes, perhaps we should use my room."

"No. We can't use your room. Besides, no one is going to come up here, not even Kili. He is with his brother right now. Apparently his girlfriend couldn't come, I don't know the exact details," She answered.

I sighed, "Fine. What was so important that you could not wait until I had eaten?"

Tauriel leaned in closer, as if to share a secret. "I overheard your maid and a guard. I think they're dating."

"Tauriel," I hedged. "You know I love you, but I'm not comfortable gossiping about my maid."

Tauriel pouted. "Fine. Then just listen. I overheard two people arguing, a woman and a man. She was upset that he was pushing her away without reason or cause. He was saying that his family came first and if they didn't like her, he couldn't do anything about it at the moment. After all, when you marry, you also marry into the family, not just the person. There was a clatter and I opened the door to make sure that the argument hadn't become physical and I found them on the floor kissing. They clearly love one another, but they can't be together."

I sighed heavily, "Tauriel."

"If we come up with a plan, we can get them to be together!" She continued.

"Even if we did come up with something, I don't think we should meddle. After all, the guard wasn't wrong; you do marry the family. I want Isoye to be happy. If she doesn't ask us for help, I don't want to interfere," I stated.

Tauriel opened her mouth to respond but before she could, the door swung open to reveal Isoye holding a tray of food.

"Isoye?" I asked, unsure of if she had heard.

"I want your help," She stated firmly. "Please."