Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Miranda's POV

After dinner, Elrond followed me to his study. "What is it you want to talk about?" He asked, sitting down at his desk and motioning for me to do the same. I sat down heavily. What do I even want to say? "Luna?"

I shook my head to clear it. "I have to leave for a few days. I might be gone for up to two weeks."

His brow creased, "What is the reason for this sudden departure?"

I took a deep breath, "There is something I need to do. You can feel it, can't you? He never left. His power is diminished for now, but I fear..." I stopped talking and shook my head again.

Lord Elrond's frown deepened, "There is more. You know more."

I looked out the window and far away, "There is much to be done in these 60 years we have. The age of elves, it may come to an end. His power is too dark and he, too terrible to speak of."

Elrond's eyes filled with a sense of urgency, "Tell me how you know! You must tell me!"

I shook my head, "Some futures, are necessary. But there may be something I can do to extend it. Give us the time we need. Though, one day, those involved and those tainted, may need to seek refuge in the place where light never dies."

"That which you speak of, do you know where it is at?" He asked, the same worry and urgency lowering his voice and clouding his features.

"The creature Gollum, he must be captured, he will tell you. You will find him in the goblin tunnels. This is all I can say on the matter. If the future changes too much, the future of elves in Middle Earth might not be the only things lost."

Lord Elrond nodded, "I understand."

~*~

The following day, I got ready in my traveling gear and mounted Rochben. My diadem was firmly attached to my brow and my hood was pulled up over my head. "Are you ready for another adventure?" I asked him, patting his neck.

"Naneth!" I voice screamed in my head. "I'm coming with you!"

"No!" I stated firmly, "You are staying here."

"But-" Aysukoriay began.

"No buts. You are staying here. Smaug is still very much in everyone's mind. You are not fully grown. You would not be safe. Stay here," I ordered.

Her head lowered and she allowed Arwen to pick her up. I nodded at the two of them and rode away. There was a certain hobbit that I needed to talk to.