Chapter 10

Warning: There are some themes in this chapter that my be disturbing or even triggering to some readers. Viewer discretion is advised.

Chapter 10

Miranda's POV

I rode almost all day and finally stopped for the night when I found myself at the edge of a small forest.

"Rochben," I said after I had freed him of all the gear. "Go ahead and find a good grazing spot. I'll spend the night here."

He gave me a hard look and stayed right where he was. I sighed and went to sleep.

When I woke, it was still night but Rochben was gone. I took this time to look about the forest around me. The darkness of night engulfed me. The stars and the moon were covered by clouds. The forest floor was mossy and the trees around me stood tall.

I still couldn't believe that Legolas thought I was dead. Would it be better if I was? I shook my head. No! My mind drifted off to Thorin, Smaug and so many elves I had known in the short time I lived in Mirkwood. Those felled by armies of orcs by dwarves, by my choices. Why didn't I take the Arkenstone when Smaug had offered it? Why did I read Smaug the prophecies? Was there some way I could have saved them? Was I at fault for their deaths? I should have died in their place.

I could just die here. For all anyone knew, I could have had a terrible wound and I could die of it. I could just thrust my sword into my abdomen and die. Right here, right now. If I was found, people would probably just think I died of my wounds. Maybe I wouldn't even be found.

I felt so guilty thinking such things but part of me couldn't help it. I could ignore it, but sometimes, it would break through. But then what would have been the point of doing what I had been told at home on Earth. What would have been the point of surviving all those near-death experiences only to kill myself here? Adar would be disappointed in me if he knew. Thorin would too. I looked for the moon and the stars, but dark clouds covered the sky. There was to be no light, not tonight. I let my mind go blank, I couldn't think. I didn't want to; I didn't know what thoughts would come forth if I tried.

I sat there for who knows how long when I noticed that there was a familiar thrum in my head. I looked down at my pack and pulled out the egg. It shone brightly in the moonless night. The humming grew louder and my name was repeated over and over in my head. "Luna. Luna. Luna."

If I just died here, then this egg might be destroyed, or it might be found and hatched in darkness. I could not let that happen. First, I would travel to Rivendell and decide what to do with this egg. Then I would go home. But where was home? Was it on Earth with my mother and father? Or was in the Lothlorien with my Naneth? Could I visit my parents on earth? Were they dead like Thorin? How was Legolas doing? What was I going to do?

~*~

When morning came, Rochben returned. I was still holding the egg. He gave me a concerned look and I just shook my head.

With a clear head, I placed the egg back into my pack and ate some food. Once I had replenished my strength, I saddled Rochben up again and rode away.