Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Miranda's POV

It was lunchtime and I was eating my meal in the Library as I had been for the past week. It wasn't like I didn't want to be around anyone, it was just when the meal came, I was usually waist deep in books.

It turned out that there were an entire three bookcases that were about dragons and four more that mentioned them. That was what I had found so far, and I was currently cross-referencing something that I thought I had found in a book early this week. I didn't even hear when someone knocked on the door nor when they opened it.

"Hard at work I see," Lord Elrond said from behind me.

"Eeek!" I screamed and jumped, sending books and papers flying.

"Sorry," he laughed looking equal parts sheepish and amused. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine," I replied, smoothing down my dress.

"You look cute today," he commented. "Trying to impress someone?"

I gave him a flat look, "Just the library books. Besides, he isn't-." My hand flew up to my mouth and I looked at him surprised.

His mouth turned up in a grin and he said mischievously, "Who's the lucky ellon? Or elleth?"

"I like men," I replied.

"Just covering my bases, you never know," Elrond replied with a shrug.

"Could you help me find a book?" I asked him, changing the topic.

"I could," he replied, "But you're not getting out of it that easily. Tell me who is it that has caught your eye."

"I don't know who it is," I responded, it was only a partial lie. I had a hunch, but I also didn't want to be wrong.

He raised his eyebrow at me, "You're lying, and you know it."

"I just don't want to be wrong," I mumbled.

"It won't hurt to tell me. Or at least give me a hint," He urged.

I sighed; he was right of course. "One of them is already dead and the other one thinks I am dead. There, you happy?"

He stared at me. "So, one of them is Thorin, right?" I tried to keep my face blank, but my blush gave me away. His eyes softened and he wrapped me in a hug. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"

I cut him off, "Don't worry about it."

"Why does he think you are dead anyways?" Elrond asked, pulling me to arm's length and looking into my eyes.

"He apparently saw me get stabbed during the battle," I replied.

"You got stabbed?!" Elrond exclaimed, checking me for injuries. "Where?! Why didn't you tell me?!"

"I didn't," I replied. "Well, I mean, yeah, I was stabbed, but I wasn't injured. Or at least I didn't bleed."

His look became hard and he immediately took me to the hospital wing.