Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Miranda's POV

"Thank you for walking me to the library," I told Nrimir.

"Anytime Princess," He said, pulling the door open and bowing as I walked past.

"You-!" I started, but he was gone. I sighed as the door shut behind me.

"I see you two have made up," Elrond's voice came from my left.

"Uncle!" I exclaimed, rushing to his side.

"Why do you insist on calling me that?" He asked.

"Because it makes me feel younger," I told him.

"But I'm your brother-in-law!" He said, sounding exasperated.

"So?" I asked, my tone was playful, but I had no intention of calling him brother-in-law or brother even if he strung me up by my toes.

"I might just try that," He said mischievously, raising his hands as if to catch me.

"Eeek!" I exclaimed running behind a bookshelf. "I wish you wouldn't do that."

"Do what?" He asked. He looked confused and I couldn't tell if he was messing with me or not.

"Read my mind," I clarified.

"Be grateful that I'm not invading your mind farther," Elrond said, warning lacing his words.

I glared at him and put up a mind block, just like Smaug taught me. Then I entered his mind and thought, "Just try to enter my mind now," before quickly retreating. His features went from showing shock to pain to confusion.

"How did you do that?" He asked me.

"Not telling~! " I responded in a sing-song voice.

He sighed again then asked me, "So, why did you want to meet me here?"

I became serious. "I need to know if you have any books on dragons."

"Well, yes, of course I do. The question is, why?" He responded, looking at me quizzically. I clasped my hands behind me and began shuffling my feet. "If you do not tell me, I will not be able to help you," Lord Elrond stated and began making his way towards the door.

"Wait!" I exclaimed, grasping his sleeve. "I'll tell you."

He turned to face me, raising his eyebrow, "I'm waiting."

I took a deep breath, "Where do you want me to start?"

"I hear the beginning is a good place," he suggested.

He watched me intently as I let go of his sleeve and ran my hand through my hair. I looked away from him and out a window as I began. "So, you know how I was supposed to arrive in Lothlorien when I was 18 years old?"

"Yes," he replied nodding.

"I ended up in Erabor," I continued.

He clasped my hands and stood in front of me. "How are you still alive?" I gently pulled my hands from his grasp and took a step back, away from him and away from the books until I was flush against the door. "Luna?" He asked, reaching for me again. I tried to step back, but I had nowhere to go. "Luna?" He asked again, more worried this time.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I turned to meet his eyes, my own eyes shining like golden fire.