prologue- 11-12

Chapter 11-Window Scrubbing  - chapter 12-Punishment Ducking + non cannon thing

After a full day of cleaning I was exhausted, and still we had to go and clean a hundred windows. Me and Grim made our way to the cafeteria and waited for Ace to arrive. 

“I’m already exhausted from a full day of cleanin’. I can’t believe we still gotta wash a hundred windows!” I cleared my throat and looked down at grim “maybe you can try and learn from this experience, grim.” 

Grim huffed and looked around “what’s buggin’ me is, ace ain’t even here yet! To make us wait, after what he did..” he growled.

I huffed and decided to start cleaning anyway, I just wanted to go home and sleep. 

I dunked a washcloth into a bucket and began cleaning.

—-

It’s been 30 minutes and ace is still yet to show, i’m nowhere near done with these windows and grim hasn’t been helping. 

—-

It’s been an hour and Ace is still yet to show. 

“...and now he’s super late! I bet he up and bailed on us!” grim huffed and looked up at me waiting to see what i’d say, i took a moment to think before i answered “we should look for him.” I stopped cleaning the windows, plopping the cloth into the bucket and turning around. “Ain’t no way am I doin’ his punishment for him! C’mon, y/n. I don’t care if we gotta drag him kickin’ and screamin’, he’s washing those windows!” 

And so we left to go find Ace and force him to do his part in the punishment, went through the halls, checked the bathrooms and then went through the classrooms. 

“Hey! Ace! Get over here! Try to hide from me, will ya!” grim yelled as we went into the final classroom, we quickly checked around the classroom, quickly proving that no one was here “huh… maybe there’s really no one here?” 

I was about to turn to leave before I heard a voice from behind us “oh, I wouldn’t say that. I’m here.” grim screamed and jumped into my arms “that painting just talked!” that seemed to offend the painting of a man on the wall “yes, and…? Is a talking painting really such an oddity at this school?  The lady in the portrait on the wall talks too. As does the gentleman in the portrait on this one. As long as a painting has a mouth, why wouldn’t it be able to talk? Is that really so strange?” 

Grim jumped down from my arms, I looked back at the painting “in fact, yes. Paintings don't usually talk.” he chuckled slightly at my comment “well, your ‘usual’ and my ‘usual’ clearly differ. Shall we agree to disagree on the matter?” I nodded “yes, we shall.” 

“Now, you seem to be searching for someone.”

“We’re looking’ for this guy called ace. He’s got messy hair and a heart drawn on his face.” 

The painting took a moment to think to himself before speaking again “ah, i know the one. A new student, I believe? Today was his first day at school. I think he went back to his dorm a while ago.” 

Grim let out an angry growl “so it’s true! He’s tryin’ to ditch us! Do you know which way he went?” grim looked up at the painting “the door to the dorms is in the eastern building.” grim immediately looked at me “let’s chase after him, y/n!” grim without a moment's wait ran out the door, “thank you, sir!” I yelled out to the painting as I ran after grim. 

It took a while to run to the hall of mirrors, as we ran into the place I heard Ace speaking “yeah right, like i’m gonna wash a hundred windows. I’m just gonna go back and—” grim started yelling “GOTCHA, PUNK!” that made Ace jump and try to run “oh no! They saw me!” 

Grim let out an angry growl “stop right there, pal! No fair gettin’ a head start! Wait!” Ace ran faster not listening to what grim had said “who in their right mind would ever wait?! Seeya!” 

“No way are you gettin’ out of this! You think I WANNA wash windows?” 

I noticed a blue haired boy with a spade drawn on his face by one of the mirrors. Ace pushed past him trying to get to the mirror quickly “outta my way!” 

“Hey! What gives?!” 

I knew what I had to do “please, stop him!” i yelled at the boy, he immediately looked at me “you want me to cast a spell to stop him? Like, freeze his legs? Or bind them with rope? Or maybe I could… no” 

Grim got upset about that “I don’t care how! Just do something! Anything!” the boy seemed panicked “anything?! Anything, huh.. Alright! Here goes anything! I summon thee… something heavy!” 

A giant cauldron summoned above Ace, dropping on top of him and smashing him into the ground. He let out an ungodly noise “what?! A pot?!” haha gotcha ace. 

Grim started laughing “Look, y/n, look!” he kept looking at me to make sure I was looking, I couldn’t help but laugh at this. “That ace guy got crushed beneath a giant cauldron! It squashed him flat!” grim started laughing louder before yelling out “that’s what you get!” 

The blue haired boy seemed surprised by the cauldron “a cauldron?! I wasn’t expecting that. I may have overdone it this time…” ace let out a loud yell of pain “what are you bothering me for? You guys coulda just banged out the work yourself!” 

“You see that’s the problem, we CAN'T we depend on the headmage and these were headmage’s orders. You heard the man. We have to wash a hundred windows, now get up.” I angrily huffed out. “You have to wash a hundred windows as punishment? What the heck did you do?!” The boy looked down at ace. 

Ace huffed as he got from under the cauldron “I was just screwing with that furball a little… okay, and the statue of the queen of hearts got a teeny bit chaarred. Sue me.” 

The boy seemed surprised and slightly angry “you damaged a statue of the great seven?! No wonder he flew off the handle at you! After you managed to get into THIS school, how could you get in trouble on the very first day?!” 

Ace huffed “oh, shut up. Who are you, anyway?” yeah that's fair, it’s no fun getting scolded by someone who you don’t even know.

“My name is deuce. Deuce spade. Don’t you remember your own classmate? uh…” the blue haired boy scoffed before he had a confused look on his face. Ace looked at him with narrowed eyes “you don’t remember my name either, do you?” 

Deuce waved it off while saying “that’s not the point! You shouldn’t try to shirk an order from the headmage!” ace huffed “yeah, yeah, message received… fine, let’s bang out the windows already… huh..?” 

I suddenly noticed something “grim sure has been quiet this whole time… oh no..” I turned to see grim was not by my side anymore “the furball! He’s gone!” 

I immediately ran outside to see Grim running away laughing “I’ll let you two handle the rest! See ya, suckers!” 

Oh that little… “You caught me so YOU could run away yourself?! Hey! You there! Uh… juice?” Ace said pointing at Deuce, deuce immediately yelled out “my name isn’t ‘juice’ it’s Deuce! With a D!” 

“This is partially your responsibility, you know! So help me catch that little furball!” 

“How is this my responsibility?!” 

“Grim’s useless janitor friend can’t use magic. That means this is up to you and me!” uh what did you just call me? 

We ran out the hall of mirrors, chasing after grim, ace and deuce leading me, they were trying to use magic to catch grim and all I could do was chase.