The Red-Rose Tyrant 25-26

Chapter 25- A Sad Little Child - chapter 26- Feelings Reconciled 

I saw a red haired woman and a small child standing in front of me, neither seemed to notice me, that child, he was Riddle I can tell, Riddle was adorable, well he still is. The woman must be his mother. 

“Happy eighth birthday, Riddle. This year’s birthday cake is a low-sugar recipe made with nuts and lecithin-rich soy flour to improve your cerebral function.” Riddle’s mother spoke with a happy tone. 

“Thank you. But, mom… Just once, I’d like to try one of those tarts covered with bright-red strawberries…” Little Riddle spoke softly. 

“Absoutelt not! Those tarts are monstrously unhealthy. I might as well feed you poison! Even just a single slice would exceed your recommended daily intake of sugar. Now, dinner tonight will be a tuna sauté rich in DHA and omega-2 fatty acids. Now that you’re eight, your caloric intake should be 600 kilcalories per meal, so don’t eat more than 100 grams of it. Understood?” she spoke. 

I felt anger fill me, how could someone be this way? She’s the walking embodiment of causing your child to have an eating disorder and causing your child to hate themselved, what the fuck is wrong with her?!

“Yes, mom.” the small child whispered. 

“I’d always wanted to try one of those tarts with the bright-red strawberries. The local cake shop had them in the window. They shined at me like forbidden jewels.” I heard Riddle’s voice but I couldn’t see him. 

“That’s enough classical magic study for today. Your homework is to read the first fifty pages of the philosophy of language book reference in today’s magical philosophy texts. You may now have one hour of independent study before your potionology lesson.” his mother stood up, pushing another book infront of him. 

The little Riddle shook his head “thank you, Mother.” 

“I need some time to prepare the lesson materials. I will see you in one hour, okay?” his mother walked out the room 

“I was studying every possible subject, scheduled down to the minute. When I didn’t understand something, the lesson was extended until I did. That was my “normal”.” I heard Riddle’s voice again, I still couldn’t see him. 

A knock on the window caused the little Riddle to look up “...Is someone knocking on the window?” 

I looked out the window to see what looked to be a little Trey and a little Chenya “whoa, he heard us!” the little Trey smiled brightly. “Hey, come play with us!” little Chenya waved little Riddle closer to the window. 

“Who are you?” little Riddle asked. “I’m Chenya, and that’s Trey. Let’s all play croquet! Oh, but it’s LOTS of fun!” 

“I can’t. I’m supposed to be doing independent study, and I have a lot of homework to do.” little Riddle shook his head and went back to reading “independent study” means you pick what to do, right? My grandpa says play is a form of study!” little Chenya reached through the window and towards Riddle. 

“Just play with us for a little bit!” little Trey begged “...O-okay…Just a little, though!” little Riddle walked towards the window. 

“Hey, what’s your name?” little Trey reached through to help the little Riddle climb out the window. “R-Riddle. Riddle Rosehearts.” little Riddle spoke while climbing out the window.

“I had the best time playing with Trey and Chenya. We did so many things I’d never done before. They taught me lots of things I didn’t know. After that, I snuck out of my room every day to play with them during independent study time.” Riddle spoke again, it sounded like he was smiling.