The Usurper from the Wilds 8-10

Chapter 8- An After-School Mission - chapter 9- Investigating a Scheme - chapter 10- A Detective Team

Crowley had handed us some papers naming people who were going to play in Spelldrive and had gotten hurt, Grim and I had gone on to the school infirmary. After talking to the school nurse we went to go find him. 

“All right, where’s this guy who hurt his ankle.” Grim jumped up into my arms, looking around. There were two Heartslabyul students, who smiled when they saw us. 

“Huh?” the first one said, the second one nudged the other one “hey, it’s the ones from Ramshakle House! They were at the unbirthday party! What are you guys doing here?” 

“Get a load o’ that! We’re totally famous!” Grim nudged my chest before I cleared my throat. “Stairway patrol, we’ll ask the questions...We'd like to ask about your accident.” I put Grim down and pulled out my notepad and pen. 

“Uh, that’s kind of a weird job, but okay.” the second guy spoke.

“It is NOT a weird job.” I glared before looking back at the first guy “now what happened?” 

“I wish I knew what happened myself, man. I was walking along, talking to my friends and next thing I knew, BOOM! I was tumbling down the stairs.” The first guy spoke which I quickly wrote down. 

“Yeah. I didn’t even see him stumbling or anything.” the second guy shook his head, I jotted that down too. 

“It was like my body just lurched forward by itself. I can’t really explain it.” the first guy huffed, I hummed as i wrote it down. 

“Hm. Hmmm. interesting. Veeeery interesting.” Grim nodded along, looking up at me and watching me write, I put my pen and notepad back into my bag and picked Grim up again. “Thank you for your cooperation. Let’s go interview the next victim.” I turned and left, looking at the list of names and pictures, I walked from classroom to classroom until I found him. He was sitting in Mr.Treins classroom, talking to one of his friends.  

“Hey, you. You had an accident and almost got hurt real bad, right? Give us the deets.” Grim jumped from my arms as I went to pull out my notepad and pen. 

“And why should I answer to you, exactly?” the first Pomefiore student spoke, before looking back to the other student. 

“He was in peak condition for the Spelldrive tournament and got hurt so bad that he can’t even play now!” the other Promefiore student shouted at us. 

“And you’re here to…what, rub salt in my wound? We throw down the gauntlet! Duel us!” the injured Pomefiore student jumped up, yelling at us. The moment he jumped up I drew back and kicked his legs out from under him, causing him to fall back into his seat. I placed my hand on his shoulder and looked down at him. “Sit your ass down, I’m just investigating the injuries.”  

 “Hmph… you’re better than I thought. All right, then. I’ll give you the skinny.” the injured student huffed.

“It happened in the laboratory. We were boiling up a potion when his hands suddenly shot out and grabbed the screaming hot cauldron. He dumped out every last drop. It was bizarre! Made a real mess too.” The other student told the story as I pulled out my notepad and pen. 

“Oh, so YOU’RE gonna do all the talking?!” the injured Pomefiore student huffed and rolled his eyes as I wrote down the story. 

“Hm. Hmmm. Interesting. Veeeery interesting.” Grim repeated what he said to the Heartslabyul students, I put my notepad and pen back. I picked Grim up “Hope you feel better soon. Let’s head back to the dorm for now, Grim.” Grim followed closely behind me as I walked away.