The Usurper from the Wilds 3-4

Chapter 3- A Violent Demostration - chapter 4- Dangerous Accumlation

After we ate lunch we stood up quietly and walked to the headmage office, Deuce walked up to the door and knocked before slowly pushing it open “Headmage, may we come in?” Deuce asked as we walked in, Ace followed closely behind Deuce “how’s it going, sir?” Ace asked with a grin. 

“Ah. Thank you all for coming. I’ll get right to the point. Now that the Heartslabyul incident is behind us… I wanted to give you a proper debriefing on the matter. If you’re to become mages, you need to fully understand the malady that befell Mr.Rosehearts.” Crowley gestured us to his desk, we all walked towards him. 

“You called it “overblot,” right?” Deuce spoke up. 

“Yes, that is correct.” Crowley nodded. 

“My brother told me a little about that. He said thatt could happen to anyone who builds up too much blot. Sounds like Cater was pretty much on the nose with “berserker mode”.” Ace rubbed the back of his neck. 

“Yeah, but what is “blot,” anyway?” Grim crossed his paws and looked up at Crowley. 

“Ah, indeed. For your sake and y/n’s, it would behoove us to start with the basics. I shall teach you all you need to know. Charity, thy name is Crowley!” Crowley cleared his throat “now, “blot” is a form of waste that is created as a byproduct of using magic. Just as cars run on gasoline, and in the process, expel dangerous gases as echaust… casting spells consumes magical energy, and in the process, expels blot.” 

“Huh, who knew magic had a carbon footprint? Also that doesn’t sound healthy at all.” I shook my head and made a tch sound. 

“Quite. Research into the nature of blot had been conducted since time immemorial. And yet, we still understand little about it. All we know for sure is that it is terrifically toxic, and excessive amounts can wreak havoc on a mage’s mind and body.” Crowley informed. 

“I guess that’s why Grandma was always naggin’ me to not overdo it with the magic, huh? Here I thought she just didn’t want me to break stuff” Ace nodded, “it was probably a mix of the two.” I nudged Ace and he nudged me back with a grin. 

“Power and peril are two sides of the same coin. Even the greatest of mages cannot cast spell after spell without consequence.” Crowley shook his head. 

“So you’re tellin’ me I’m gonna get sick if I keep usin’ magic whenever I want?!” Grim spoke with alarm, I leaned down and scooped him up into my arms and cradled him a bit “I hope not!” I spoke softly as I held him. 

“Not necessarily. Hm. Perhaps a demonstration would prove more efficient than a mere explanation. Ghosts, assemble! I have a job for you!” Crowley yelled like he was a goddamn Avenger. 

There was no way in hell they’d listen- “Huzzah! You summoned us, Headmage?” A ghost shouted as multiple ghosts appeared. 

“Not these guys again?!” Ace jolted and grabbed my shoulder, attempting to hide behind me. 

“Would you be so kind as to help me put these young students through their paces?” Crowley smiled at the ghosts. 

“T-this seems like a bad idea.” Deuce slightly nudged behind me.

“Yeah, okay. We’ll go a round or two with ‘em”  a ghost appeared behind us, making the boys jump. 

“Now, students, ready your magical pens. Prepare to receive a special lesson from your headmage!” Crowley laughed and clapped his hands together.