N.O 5 'They're cute'

"Hey, have you thought about what you want to do for your birthday yet?" Mira asks whilst they are walking through the school halls and out of the doors. Car doors slamming meeting their ears as soon as they stepped out

Once they hit the bottom step, Sophia stopped. "No, not really, it's kind of slipped my mind"

"what slipped your mind?" Alex asks coming out of nowhere

"Jesus Christ, where the hell did you come from" Sophia asks placing a hand on her beating heart

"sorry" he winced, his eyes glancing over her body to endure that no other damage was done.

"Sophia's 18th birthday "Mira chips in, answering a previous question.

"How the hell did you forget your birthday? Your 18th birthday, that's like the most important birthday out of them all. " He says, shocked, staring at her like he can't believe what he's being told.

"Quite easily apparently"

"Well, what do you want to do then?" he asks politely

"I don't know" she replies honestly

"She wants a party" Mira says

"No, I do not" she turns to meet Mira. Shaking her head at her "I don't really want a massive party or celebration. You know I prefer a quiet evening with family and friends. Quiet and fun" Sophia points out, walking towards the gate. Starting her journey home, with or without the other two

"But it's your 18th!!" she exclaimed "you have to do something" she says catching up to Sophia

"Sorry Sophia, I agree with her." Although by the face he's pulling you would have thought he was being forced to say it. "It doesn't have to be anything big" he states, trying to compromise. He wouldn't want her to think she has to do something that would make her uncomfortable.

"I don't know" unsure of what to say they move in silence along the path, cars whizzing by. Each one of them has a mission to their own destination. The sky darkened above them, the wind picking up.

"can you just have a party this one year?" Mira asks quietly, afraid that she might upset her.

Sighing "will that make you happy?" her eyes met with Mira's who was nodding beside her.

"fine" Mira lit up like a Christmas tree "but not something too big, got it?"

"yep" she continued nodding her head before speeding up slightly "come on!" she shouted

Laughing, they followed her towards Sophia's house.

"Are you sure you're ok with this?" Alex grabbed her arm causing them to stop on the path.

"Yeah," she nodded, "it makes her happy." He pointed to the figure that had already created a big gap between them. She looked like she was skipping. Sophia was pleased she was happy. After what happened yesterday, she was sure that it would take more than a small party to make her friend happy.

He searched her eyes. Assured that she was fine he allowed her to continue walking towards her house.

"Do you want to come over? I'll probably need protection against my mom and Mira. They can get a little crazy when it comes to planning events'' a small laugh escapes her lips.

"I would love to" he smiles at her.

"great"

................

"Hey mum I'm home" she shouts, chucking the keys into the bowl by the door. welcoming Alex through the door and she shuts it behind him. When he points at where he should put his things "you can leave them there" she points under the table by the door

Following the sound of chattering and paper being turned, they enter the kitchen.

"Hey mum" she walks to her mum placing a kiss on her head. She was leaning over a piece of paper, a pen in her hand. Preparations had already begun.

"Hey Alex," Mira said from beside Emily.

"hi" a small laugh escaping him. At the sound Emily's head whipped up, her eyes meeting her daughters who nodded at her silent question. 'Was he the boy you met yesterday?.' before tuning to look at the new person that she's never met before.

"Hello? And who may you be" she smiled at the man.

"Alex ma'am" he put his hand out to be shaken.

"Emily" she shook his hand "Hey you're the family that just moved next door. the Kings'' mum says. How she knew from his name where he lived. Is a mystery for another day

He smiles softly "it's just me, but yeah"

"Oh darling, you're welcome any time" she places a gentle hand on his shoulder

"Thank you" they shared a smile. Mira whispered something to Emily who laughed and turned her attention back to her sheet title 'party plans'

Sophia moved to sit down and motioned for him to join them as they started their conversation of party plans. They chatted for hours, Alex and Sophia just resting against their chairs watching as Emily and Mira sent ideas back and forth until they came up with an idea they liked. Sophia occasionally intervened when their ideas became too wild. By the time that they had come up with some sort of plan the sky had turned dark and rain pattered against the window panes.

"Would you like to stay for dinner Alex?" Emily asks as she stands from her chair, her back cracking from the movement.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to intrude"

"Nonsense we are having spaghetti bolognaise" she moved to the cupboard to get out the ingredients needed for the food"

"thanks" he smiled. It was nice to be catered for once. He usually just bought take outs as he didn't normally stay long enough to buy groceries to have a home cooked meal. This was nice.

Once dinner was cooked, they moved into the lounge to watch a movie. Mira and Emily taking the single seats. Forcing Alex and Emily to share the double seater in the room. The movie played for several hours. plates cleared and blankets pulled out. Each as comfortable as the screens flashed on their faces.

It didn't take long for Sophia to fall asleep under the warmth of the blankets, her head lulling to the side, landing on Alex's shoulder. Small sparks dancing on their skin where they touched. A smile fell on his face as he brushed hair out of her face running his hands through her hair.

It didn't take long before the world disappeared from Alex's eyes as they dropped, joining Sophia in dreams land. Cuddling Sophia was the most comfortable he had been since he's been looking for someone.

"they're cute," Emily says, taking her phone out to take a picture.

"Yeah, they have chemistry that they keep denying," Mira said, scoffing slightly. They made eye contact briefly, both her and Emily in disbelief

"Yeah, I know" they turned their attention back to the movie.