Chapter 1

A shooting star cut through the sky, bright against the night clouds.

Make a wish.

Although the others had said that it was an unlucky omen, Yun had loved shooting stars. She liked to think that every time she'd told the shooting stars her wishes and her worries, it would be carried away into the oblivion, and she'd never have to think about it anymore.

She continued her way through the winding flower paths, her fingertips brushing against the flower petals. As far as she could see, the whole field was covered in moonshine peonies, and all of them were in full bloom tonight. The subtle fragrance cleared her mind as she inhaled deeply.

The playing of a qin caught her attention, and her lips curved immediately as she recognized the song.

A gazebo stood right in front of her, lit in warm lantern light. The person playing the qin sat back facing her, but Yun would know her Intended anywhere.

The wind slowly rustled the willow tree branches and caught on her robes as she made her way into the gazebo, smiling warmly at the man inside.

"Tea is ready." He said, looking up at her, eyes twinkling.

Yun merely took a seat at one of the poufs at the small table, taking the teacup in front of her. She blew the steam rising from it before taking a sip. She furrowed her brows slightly at the bitterness, but her forehead smoothened out again at the aftertaste.

"Yun, I have to go." The man cut through the silence, looking at her with eyes that were longing.

"I know." I wished you didn't have to though.

Yun lifted her gaze to the man in front of her, trying to take all of him in. She wanted to remember all of him; how he looked, what he liked. She had a foreboding feeling about his departure this time, and she wished that everything would be fine until he came back and they could leave together.

"You're worried, and rightfully so. But I want you to trust me. I will come back for you no matter what. And I will do my best to stay safe during the battle this time."

Yun nodded, blinking back her tears. "I'll always wait for you, Yufan."

"Hold on to the jade." Yufan sighed. He reached for her hand and gripped it tightly over the qin. "Maybe it'll remind you of me sometimes."

"Remember-I'll always love you, until the end of time."

"I love you too." Yun's voice cracked at the end. Somehow the tears started rolling down the side of her face, and she blinked to clear her vision.

"Don't cry." Arms were suddenly around her, wrapping her in a tight embrace as she held on to his arms. She could taste the saltiness of her tears as she begin to completely sob, holding on desperately. "I can't bear to see you cry."

"I love you." She said through her sobs. In the spur of the moment, she turned up to face him, and pulled him close. She felt his lips on hers, and closed her eyes, finding comfort in the kiss as she wrapped her arms tightly around him.

Let everything fall into place as how it should be. She desperately wished. Soon.

• ───────────────── •

Yun hands fisted the sheets tightly as she sat up, gasping for air. A shudder ran through her body as she inhaled deeply, forcing herself to still. She reached for the handkerchief at the edge of the bed, and slowly, dabbed it against the droplets of sweat on her forehead.