Chapter 41

Yun steadied herself as she saw Xiao's silhouette. He was leaning against one of the panels, and the maidservants that walked past him into the hall all had their head bowed, and they looked away.

Yun imagined that he must been glaring at them, and took a breath to claim herself, although it was shaky and it made her even more nervous when she noticed it.

She saw Xiao tilt his head downwards, his side face illuminated in the red lantern light. "My patience is as far as it can possibly get now, Yun."

Yun immediately hastened her footsteps, the low tone in his voice intimidating her. Nothing more should happen tonight.

The day was almost through, and since Lord Xu knew about this, she hoped desperately that he would interfere when things got out of control for her, although she had covered it up at first.

They entered the hall, and immediately, their presence was noted.

Yun, despite being slightly unhinged, allowed herself to take in her surroundings as inconspicuously as she could.

Eyes quickly locked onto hers however, and they widened when they saw her.

"Yun?" He mouthed, and Yun quickly ducked her head.

She had not accounted for Jin being here, even though he had known about the event and that he had known who her partner was.

It is fine. It is fine. She told herself. Stay collected.

She could still feel his eyes trailing her as she took her seat next to the Huan King. And apparently, Xiao had noticed too.

"Apparently the wine tonight is exquisite." He started conversationally, and Yun reached for the small wine jug, pouring out the liquid into two cups on the small table that they were sitting at.

"It seems as though someone has their eyes on you." The Huan King said, in a low voice that only she could hear. "I wonder if he knows who you really are."

"And I had always thought that you never wanted to get anyone else involved."

"I stand by my words." Yun said, lifting a cup to him with two hands, bowing her head.

He took it, slipping his fingers around the white jade. He finished it with a tilt of his head, and set it heavily down onto the table.

"I wonder if you know who you actually are yet." He mused, locking his gaze with her. Yun couldn't help her hands as they quivered slightly at the predatory gaze.

How many times could she have died already if it weren't for the uses that she had?

"What are you doing?" He suddenly shot at her, and Yun hands shook even more, curling tightly around the jug.

She inhaled as she saw that the wine was already overflowing all the way from the table down to his robes, staining them.

"My deepest apologies." Yun forced a sense of calm into her voice. Pulling out a handkerchief from her sleeve, she dabbed as his robes. His hand stopped her however, and Yun just paused, keeping her head bowed. She could feel his gaze piercing into her, and her hands tightened around the silk cloth.

She did not know how to get herself out of the situation, but when she felt hands on her chin, lifting her head up and forcing her to lock eyes with him, she forced her gaze not to waver.

"My apologies, Your Highness."

"Speak." Xiao said, ignoring the man that stood before them both.

"I was wondering if it would be rude to steal away this woman by your side for a few moments."