Chapter 31

Every day for the past three days, Yun had been to and fro from her room to Lord Xu's room, and to the library. She would read on the art of healing. She had observed the healers at work, pounding herbs to make smelling pouches for Ying, and how they made tonics for her to ingest.

She would discreetly smell through the bottles of porcelain jars containing pills and tonics as well that Lord Xu would bring back, presumably from the Nine Heavens. They jogged her memory on healing, and she was hoping that she could use the information to help Ying in any way possible.

She also helped Ying to change and bathe and did her hair so that she would feel fresh when she woke up, but other than that, there was nothing much that she could do.

Both of them had forgotten about training at this point.

She hoped today would be different as she walked up to Lord Xu's room again, but paused at the door. It was open slightly, and the screen divider was leaning forwards against the panel.

"You should have been more careful." Lord Xu's voice came from within the room, his soft tone a sharp contrast to what he usually sounded.

Yun immediately thought of leaving, but she heard a female voice coming from within as well.

"I'm sorry, Lord Xu, I didn't mean to blast open the doors and windows."

Yun felt a rush of ecstasy running through her. She knew that voice.

"It's not that." He sighed, the struggle in his voice audible. "Ying, I was so... worried. So worried, when you got hurt. Don't ever do that again, don't ever take yourself for granted again."

"Master, I'm fine now aren't I?" Ying whispered. "Please don't be worried over me."

"How can I not?"

It was barely a mumble, but Yun still managed to make it out due to her heightened hearing. Quickly making her decision, she made up her mind and immediately turned away to her room.

I did not know that Lord Xu was even capable of such love. Yun thought, surprised. I guess that Ying must mean a lot to him.

═════════════════

Someone was here. Yun's bright mood immediately changed as she stepped back into her room.

Without moving away from the door, she looked around the room. Her things were visibly untouched, but as she turned her gaze to her dresser table, she saw an envelope lying on it. Her eyes narrowed, and her feet moved in the way that Lord Xu thought her, already in stance.

Nothing jumped out at her nor made themselves known, so she gingerly picked up the envelope, noting the weight of it. She angled it away from her head as she opened it, and waited for a few seconds, before pouring out the contents on the table.

A pair of ruby earrings fell out, knocking against the wood heavily. Along with it was a letter.

She opened that first, reading through the words. It was from Xiao.

I know that you know now the consequences, but now I would show you what you stand to gain if you join us.

You want to heal your father and be by his side. And I can make that happen.

If you agree to see what we can offer, you will be my companion for an event almost two weeks later. I will make a promise that I will not attack you nor use force on you to make you change your will for the event.

Sincere greetings,

Xiao

She crumpled the paper in her hands and threw it onto the table. She'd try not to think about it, but her fingers went to the ruby earrings. The cool stone refracted some sort of light within it, and as she lifted it closer to her, she saw that it was a flicker of a flame, trapped inside the stone somehow.

Something creaked outside the window, and she jumped, turning around. Her right hand had already pulled the dagger out, and she waited, staring at the window until she was sure that there was nobody and nothing there.

Turning back to the dresser table, she swept up the letter and the earrings into the dresser drawer, keeping it out of her sight.

She would prefer to think about it sometime soon, once she had understood who she was facing.

═════════════════

Hastily finishing her bath, Yun set off to Qi Die's Pavilion of Butterflies again, wanting to get an answer. Even if Xiao was a dragon, a Demon, he was still bound to a mortal identity, much like Lord Xu, meaning that he might not be as mysterious as she perceived.

And that he will have weaknesses that she can take note of.

Qi Die was stroking the strings of her Pipa as the sun set over the horizon, the beautiful oranges and pinks colouring the sky. Lanterns were lit in the small pavilion that she was sitting in, a tea set and cakes on the table next to her.

"Good evening, Qi Die."

"Oh, Yun." Qi Die stood up and curtsied towards her, a gesture which she returned. "My apologies, I had not known that you were coming."

"It is I that should apologize. I do hope that I am not intruding."

"No, you are most definitely not." Qi Die leaned forwards and took her hand. "Have a seat, I had some of the maidservants brew some fresh tea not too long ago. It should be still warm."

Yun accepted the offer, and watched on as Qi Die poured out the tea into two cups, and placed a plate of the cakes in front of her.

"To what do I owe your visit, Yun?" She looked attentive as she leaned forwards; her Pipa set to the side.

"Do you know of the Huan King, Xiao?"

Shock flashed across Qi Die's face immediately as she said Xiao's namesake, quickly morphing into one of terror before paling completely. Her eyebrows furrowed, as she leaned on the table, pressing her palm to her forehead.

"Yes, I have heard of His Highness. He... holds quite a presence."

"You seemed troubled."

"That's because ever since he came back from the battlefront, His Highness has been causing certain problems for the Emperor."

"And why so?"

Qi Die paused for a few moments, as if contemplating how to phrase her words.

"His Highness is ruthless. Too ruthless."

"There have been rumours of His Highness murdering our own town folks just because they got in the way of the battle when they refused to evacuate. Or how when they were mixed up or used as hostages by the enemy, he ordered to equally slaughter them all, even dirtying his own hands in the process."

She felt a chill ran down her spine at that. So, he is ruthless.

That sent her into a thinking frenzy. What was she supposed to do now? She had already saw first hand how he did not hesitate to kill, and it was only because that she was valuable, her life was spared.

"But other than that, His Highness is close to the Imperial Consort, Hua Ji. The palace maidservants say that they used to be childhood friends." Qi Die continued. "He likes theatre and dance performances, which is also a known fact."

"Why the sudden questions?" A hint of concern was in her voice despite the fact that she had blanched earlier.

After contemplating for a few seconds, Yun decided to tell Qi Die some of her predicament, knowing full well that if she decided to go with the Huan King, Qi Die would find out as well. It was just a matter of time.

"In that case, I'd advise you not to go, Yun." Qi Die sighed after listening. "You never know what you would do that could upset the Huan King. And there is no guarantee what he might do if he is upset."

"His Highness will be unable to harm you because of it, as you are under Lord Xu's direct care in the palace. And the Emperor had told me that he planned to set guards around him wherever he went to prevent him from doing anything rash that would serve to taint the name of the Royal Family."

Yun kept silent as she listened, considering her words.

How good would it be if his influence and abilities would be extended only so far.