Chapter 15

The door creaked open, and Yun saw Ling entering, carrying a new pipa in her hands, just like how she instructed her to buy. Ling passed it on to her, and she took in, cradling it in her lap as she lifted her eyes to watch Qi Die. Her gaze was drawn entirely to the pipa as well, although there was a slight disappointment in her eyes. Probably because it wasn't her old one.

Yun ran her finger along the wood, and pressed on the strings, testing them. It was well made, the finish smooth and the ox bone on the edges perfectly fitted and polished. She was sure that it was probably better than what Qi Die had before, if she could say so herself. Lord Gu had taught her how to look at and evaluate the finer things in life, and she would say that this pipa was one of the higher-ended ones even though she did not play.

Standing up, she held the pipa in both her hands, carrying it over to Qi Die's side.

"What if, I could give you a second life?" Yun started, her voice soft and earnest. "You could have all the riches that you want. A comfortable life, one where you don't have to perform for your next meal, where you can rest and relax in a quiet environment. People wouldn't dare touch you there, and you can be well-respected and revered."

"What are you saying?" Qi Die whirled on her.

"I'm saying that I can provide you all of this, if you can work with me on one thing."

Yun's hands extended the pipa out to her, as if it was an invitation to the new life that she had mentioned. "You could have everything you ever wanted."

A few moments passed, but Yun tried to steady her hands as she continued to hold out the pipa.

"How do you know what I want?" Qi Die asked, lifting her eyes to Yun's. In them she saw loneliness, the edges of a façade breaking down after staying strong for too long on their own. She saw sadness and longing, and it made her wonder what Qi Die was really talking about when they were on this topic.

Her hands tightened on the strings of the pipa, feeling as if she was doing something wrong.

It was wrong to give false hope, to someone she didn't really know. But was it wrong to offer the material of the world that she could afford to in return for freedom? Was one thing more valuable than the other?

"I just want freedom, the chance to finally live my life the way that I want it." She said in an equally soft voice as Yun. "But above all, I just want someone whom can treasure me and understand me. To love me and shelter me, because I have been standing strong for too long on my own."

One of her hands reached out though as she said that, the sleeves of her cotton robe falling back to reveal pale, slender arms. She noticed that her fingers were slightly calloused, as if she spend a lot of her time playing the instrument. It rested in her lap comfortably as she sat up straighter and begin strumming the strings. The tune that came out was melancholic, but it ended quickly as she sat the pipa lying down in her lap.

"A comfortable life would however, seem to be much easier to gain than what I want." A sad smile appeared momentarily on her lips. Suddenly, Yun was looking at the defiant, strong version of Qi Die again. "Tell me, what sort of work is this that promises all you have said?"

"I want you, to replace me to enter the palace in two days' time."

═════════════════

"You should sit like this." Yun demonstrated. She crossed her feet and tucked it to the side of the chair, her hands folded neatly in her lap.

Ling was helping her to adjust Qi Die's posture manually beside her, adjusting her hands and her head.