Chapter 44

Yun opened her eyes again, the sunlight shining from over her.

No, it shined through her.

It shined through her as she fell.

The wind was somehow gentle around her, and she appreciated it, the feeling of floating not foreign to her.

Voices were all around her.

She heard people shouting at one point, the roaring of armies what she imagined it would be like if she had ever heard one in real life.

She heard someone calling out her name, the rustling of bushes accompanying the dulled thudding of footsteps. Confusion, hope and anxiety were mixed in their voice.

She heard someone talking to themselves, mumbling about how they couldn't protect her.

She heard many things as she kept falling and falling and falling.

The light shining through her gave her warmth, but it also blinded her. She had no idea where she was.

She was just floating downwards there.

Time was a torture to her, with no way out, no way of knowing. She felt like she was falling, forever to no end.

Then, she dropped.

Falling, and falling and falling, gaining speed. She reached out her arms but there was nothing to grab onto, and the wind did not listen to her commands to cushion her.

Falling and falling and falling.

The terror she felt was overwhelming at this point, the wind whooshing by her ears, drowning out the last of her sense.

A woman's voice was by her ear though, clear as day.

"This was how you were chosen. And why your powers were so strong. You will be reborn into the exact same day and time as you did, so the callings of your destiny will be amplified more than any of my other Chosen ones, Yun."

She remembered hearing that voice, and then, a pitch black enveloped her.

"You're different."

• ───────────────── •

Yun sat at the open window, swishing in the wind with her fingers. She felt the current dance around her hair as she did so, her eyes looking far away.

It had been a while since anything exciting happen, and she was content with the peace that she was living in now. Her training had slowed down significantly as well, with Lord Xu leaving her to train in weapons with Ying while he went off somewhere.

She had a feeling it had concerned her training as well, but she did not get answers to her questions on the matter.

Once, she had asked Ying on where Xiao went, but the answer that she got was "where he is supposed to be." As was what Lord Xu had told him as well.

That worried her a little as to where he was supposed to be, because she knew that he was out somewhere, and it could be anywhere. And with all the free thoughts running around in her head, she assumed the worst.

The journey back home was too far. So, what she could do, was only to believe that everything was the way it was supposed to be, although she could easily be wrong.

Knocks came from the paneled door, and it slid open as Yun turned over to the visitor.

"Yun, Qi Die sent for you." Ying said simply, leaning forwards on the panel. "She wants you to go for lunch with her."