Chapter 14

Yun woke up the next morning rather peacefully. She blinked, taking in her surroundings blearily as she pulled the blanket away. It took a while for her to sit and recall what had happened last night, and the first thing that she realised was that she had no dreams during her slumber. It had left her feeling unexpectedly refreshed and more alert now that the sleepiness had slowly subsided.

But along with that, the memories of the previous nights returned.

And as Yun went through the memories over and over again, the images returning as if burnt into her eyes and she relived every moment of the scene every time she closed them.

She wasn't entirely sure of how she should react to the events that transpired last night. She had saw a man die, that was true. She had also saw someone with powers that were incomprehensible and very much lethal. Although she herself had such powers, the man exhibited such prowess with his in an active manner

Part of her wanted to curl back into bed and hide herself from the world, unused to such a brutality. But the more rational part of her told her that it would be fine if she just stayed silent about it and avoid the man at all costs. Logically speaking, since the man did not kill her then and there, it had meant that she was to live, despite the fact that she had witnessed the murder.

The only thing that she could do now, that aligns with what she wanted all along, was to go home, back to Guiying, far far away from the Royal City. She could return to her father and continue to take care of him until he healed completely, and she could get away from the man whom could be lurking out here at any corner of the Royal City. Not to mention, despite the slim chance that it held, she wouldn't have to marry off in such a manner, and she might get the chance to do what she wanted in live, which was to travel.

All the possibilities in front of her, but first, she had to write a letter to her father. He would be worried sick if he didn't hear from me sooner.

As she sealed the enveloped, the door creaked open, and Ling came in with a bucket hall-full of bathing water.

"Milady, you're awake!" Her eyes lit up at seeing Yun almost immediately. "I'll go and get you some breakfast."

She came back later with some food— small steamed buns and sweetened date and glutinous rice cakes. As she set them down on the table, Yun noticed that she had something sticking out from her sleeve.

"Ling, what do you have there?"

"Oh. This Milady." She pulled an envelope out. "This is from High General Jin Qin."

She read the words on the envelope out loud before passing it to Yun, whom opened it and pulled out the letter inside.

"Milady, what happened last night actually?" She leaned forwards as Yun read through the letter, her eyes skimming through the words quickly. "You came back unconscious in High General Jin's arms, and he looked worried sick about you. He even got a healer to check on you in the dead of the night and wouldn't leave your side until daybreak."

"He gave me this letter when he left, and he said that there was something inside it for you as well, and told me to give it to you, Milady."

Yun had just finished reading that part of the letter as well, and she picked up the envelope again. From it, she shook out a hairpin. It was long and sliver in colour, with the carving of a cloud on it. A piece of small white jade hung at the end, but otherwise, it was plain and simple with no more embellishments.

She turned it around, but then decided to slip it back into the paper envelope again, sighing softly as she did so.

"How long before we have to leave for the palace, Ling?"