Chapter 5

Yun concentrating on climbing the steep path up the mountain, panting. It would be so much easier if she could just fly up, but the winds here were too dangerous to navigate, and so she was stuck with the safer yet taxing way upwards. She pushed a patch of brambles away, and sidestepped several deep muddy holes.

She questioned herself on the decision to place the man she'd saved up in the cave, rather than just bringing him back to the Manor of Dawn. Surely her Master wouldn't mind right? She hadn't even left the Isle when she had met him, so, she wouldn't, probably wouldn't get into trouble.

Right?

She sighed as the last few steps came into sight and continued the climb, hefting the heavy basket on her shoulders. It was better to just keep him a secret.

The vines at the entrance gave way as Yun pushed them aside, revealing the living space within the cave. Sunlight streamed from various holes in the cave ceiling; several small ponds below them served to collect rainwater whenever there was a downpour. In the middle of the cave were a few work stations for healers, the tools and supplies all readily available. Candles were lit on them, as well as in holders all around the room. Several small pots of plants were allowed to flourish along the cave, curling around the floor or upwards on the cave walls. A banner also hung at the far end of the wall, white and green with a tree in the middle—the emblem of the Viridescent Isle.

Walking past it, she pushed away another curtain of vines to a second entrance. This one however, leading to a rest area. A few candles burnt dimly in the room, and Yun had to blink to adjust her vision.

There were several beds, and only one of them at the far corner was occupied. The man lay unmoving on top of it as Yun headed towards him and set the basket down at the end of the bed. She placed a hand on his forehead as she sat down beside him, and then removed it.

Sliding out a small plate from underneath the bed, she checked to ensure whether the herbs she'd burned to help him sleep better were finished. She quickly realised that someone was watching her though, and her eyes flickered to the man again, only to lock eyes with him.

They were a brilliant blue, flickering with all sorts of pale colours before he blinked and they became just a normal black.

"I suppose if you were going to harm me, you'd do it earlier." He commented.

"That's a preposterous accusation."

Instead of refuting the claim however, the man quickly changed the topic. "How'd you find me?"

"On my herb-picking rounds."

"Herb-picking? You mean to say this is the Viridescent Isle?" He frowned slightly.

"Yes. Were you expecting to be somewhere else?" She asked conversationally as she sat down again as he stayed silent.

"Do you mind?" Yun took his wrist and pressed down, checking his pulse even though there was no answer from him.

"You're fully healed. But you should let me check your wound again." She stated. Leaning forwards, she tugged on the straps around his shirt.

She was quickly stopped however, his hands placed around hers. An embarrassed look on his face, his cheeks red as tomatoes. "My apologies, I'll let you untie it yourself."

He did, fumbling with the straps. The shirt undid to reveal a sculpted torso underneath. But instead of making Yun shy at the sight, she simply opened the shirt further, and traced her fingers over where the wound used to be, pressing down on it slightly.