Chapter 10

Yun sat down in front of her mirror, staring at her reflection. Her tresses were perfectly pulled back upwards, something that she'd never thought she'd wear so soon in her life. Marriage had always seemed so far away from her. But alas, it was already mid-spring.

This is the bare minimum. She thought, tracing her fingers over the silk she wore. It was heavier than what she was used to wearing, and the colours more solid than her muted blues and pinks. Beads and colourful thread were woven into cherry blossoms onto her sleeves and all down the outer robe; the inner ones a plain white on her request.

Soon, she heard the sounds of someone running up to her room, panting. She lifted up her head to see Ling peeking her head around the door. "Milady, are you ready to leave?" She asked gingerly.

Yun just got up, and looked around her room. The curtains, this exact shade of muted purple; the bed, with the covers and pillow she had spent most of her life with. But that was about it. The rest of her room was destroyed in the fire, and this was the only things that the others managed to salvage, and now, she did not even get to keep them.

Her vision blurred, and she blinked through it, walking towards the door with the train of her robes brushing against the floor.

"My father?" She turned around.

"Lord Gu is already in his best, waiting to see you off at the main hall." Ling said with a reassuring smile. "Milord is already looking so much better than he was for months."

Yun nodded. At least her leaving would make her father happy.

"Well, let us meet my father." She gathered her skirts and stepped over the threshold, looking at her room one last time, before she walked down the corridors to the main hall.

═════════════════

Yun widened her eyes at the visitor sitting next to her father. Of course, how could I forgot Jin was going to escort me.

He was in light armour, his hair tied up in a barrette with a tea cup in his hands, chatting with Lord Gu. But other than that, there were no visible changes to him as Yun discreetly looked at him up and down.

"I am so happy that you are able to make it here safely." She heard her father say as she stepped over the threshold of the room. "I wouldn't be relieved entrusting my daughter's safety to anyone else but you."

"You regard me too highly, Lord Gu. I am flattered." Jin lifted her head to look as Yun, and his eyes widened as they flickered up and down her figure as well. His mouth dropped open slightly as well, which he quickly noticed and closed.

"Father, High General Jin."

"Lady Yun."

"Yun." Her father chuckled, beckoning for her to come forwards. He had the same look in his eyes as Jin when he saw her. Reached for her hands, he clutched them tightly as he looked at her face, a sort of sadness coming to the surface. Tears slowly formed in his eyes as he reached out a hand to touch her cheek. "You've grown so much."

"I am so proud of you. And I am sure your mother would be so happy to see you like this today." He choked, the tears finally spilling out onto the sides of his cheeks. "You're a fine young lady, and you're bringing honour to our family."

"I will miss you so much."

And then, he was full on sobbing as he looking down, the tears falling.

"Father." Yun immediately knelt down and embraced him. She patted her back lightly. "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry I have to leave you."

I really don't want to. I don't, but I will do anything that makes you happy.

She caught a tear rolling down her face again, but she quickly brought a finger to wipe it away, and sniffled softly. "Father, I'll always be that little girl you come home to, ever so ecstatic to see you from your business trips. That won't ever change."

Lord Gu nodded, and although his shoulders still shook from his sobs, he pulled back from Yun's hug. "I know."

"High General Jin, please take care of my daughter." Lord Gu turned towards Jin, whom looked equally solemn. "She is the world to me. See to it that she arrives safely into the palace."

"You have my word." His eyes locked with Yun, whom lowered her head after.

"Well, off you go then." Lord Gu tried to get up, and Yun quickly supported him, holding his arm so that he could stand. "The carriage has been waiting for so long. And it's a long journey to the Royal City, so you best start now."

"Father, it's still cold outside. You don't need to see me off."

"But I want to." He said, patting her shoulder. "And you've already done enough to help me Yun. Don't worry about me when you're there."

He did not let her say anything else, and instead, had her help him out to the front door. There, Lord Gu stood unsupported as he watched Jin helped her onto the carriage, and lowered the curtains after Ling got on as well. She'd opened the side curtain though, and through the small opening, she saw her father, gaunt and tired, beaming with pride at her, tears rolling in his eyes.

His arm slowly raised, and then he waved her goodbye as the horses started to trot away.

"Father, I love you!" Yun suddenly found the courage to yell out, waving her hand through the small window.

They continued, and Yun kept her gaze until her father was out of sight and the manor disappeared into the horizon.

═════════════════

"Here."

Yun looked up at the person whom gave her the handkerchief. Sniffling, she curled her fingers around the silk, stating her thanks.

It was cold outside, and she felt a lot worse crying. But as soon as they stopped for the night, it was already far from Guiying. And it was the first time she realised this was the furthest that she had ever been from home.

"I know it must hurt a lot to leave your family. But you'll be just fine." Jin said, settling down next to her at the fire they managed to make. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but he settled with gazing at the firewood instead.

"I have never left home before." She breathed, watching the sparks crackle on the wood. Her voice came out steady and flat, something that she was grateful for.

"You'll have me, at least. Along with Ling of course."

Yun nodded. Ling was busy rearranging the boxes that were disorganized due to the journey.

"It's going to be another few days before we reach the Royal City. Get the rest you need in the meantime." His armour clanked as he rose. "We'll enter town for our next few stops, you that you can be more comfortable in an inn room."

"Thank you."

"...It's my pleasure."