Chapter 37

Yun sat in the pavilion of the flower field, looking out at the sunset. It painted the field of the white flower buds a pretty red and orange in the fading light.

It had been a week. A long week since Yufan was gone to war. And in that week, she had came here every single day, looking out at the sunset. And she sat here for the longest time, brewing tea and playing go chess with herself. She would normally go back only at sunrise, when the moon fades from the sky.

Bringing up the cup to her lips, she sipped on the tea and grimaced. The hot water burned her tongue, but it was the taste that put her off. She hadn't been able to brew the tea that Yufan would normally make her, but she was experimenting with the leaves, and she was getting so close to replicating the taste. This was a true disappointment though.

The wind picked up speed as Yun sat the cup down.

"Who's there?" Asking, she turned around.

In the middle of the flower fields, a single girl stood, the purple robes she wore fluttering in the wind, as did her long dark locks.

Yun had saw her only once before, and she'd never thought she would see Lady Biyu again, after Yufan had left for war. She fixated her eyes on the figure, and watched as she sashayed delicately, making her way delicately through the patch of flowers in front of her, and walked towards the pavilion.

Up close, she took her first clear look at Lady Biyu. She had

"Apologies if I interrupted you, but you must be Lady Yun, if I am not mistaken?" Her voice was one of sweet honey, and Yun found herself raising her eyebrows at it.

"I am Yun, but I have no nobility to me." She stumbled across the first few words of her sentence before calming down. "Lady Biyu."

Biyu curtsied, her eyes raking through Yun. It gave her a sense of discomfort, but Yun held her stance.

"Is there something that you needed?" Yun finally asked, breaking the moment of tension between them. And although she did not intend to, her voice this time came out cold rather than the polite tone she used to exchange pleasantries with Biyu just now.

Biyu noticed as well, but she changed the topic instead. "Well, what I need is nothing of urgency. So, I suppose that we could talk about it over a cup of tea?"

"Be my guest." Yun said flatly as she reached for another cup, pouring the tea half-full and placed it opposite her, just as Biyu sat down. She brushed back her pale purple folds and cupped her hands on the teacup, blowing on it slightly before taking a sip. Her face was impassive as she placed it down, just as Yun remembered that the tea was awful.

"Let me get you another cup." She offered, but Biyu beat her to it. With practiced grace and ease, she poured the tea away and cleansed the teapot using the bucket of spring water by the table.

She set the water to boil while she scooped out some tealeaves, measuring them by eye. "I suppose you are trying to recreate the tea that Yufan likes to drink."

"I taught him how to make it."

The water came to a boil and she add the dried leaves into it, allowing them to steep as the aroma infused in the air, bringing back familiar memories for Yun.

"Here." Slender fingers placed a second teacup in front of Yun, the light smoke wafting from it. Her gaze turned from the teacup to Biyu, whom was already sipping the cup of tea that she had made. Her fingers curled one by one around the cup and picked it up.

She hated to admit, but even just by smelling the tea, she could tell that it was going the exact taste of the tea that Yufan makes.

"Funny, he seemed really content with me at that time."

Yun lifted her head to see Biyu staring at her with an intense gaze, completely the opposite from the sigh of her lips.

"Ever since I knew that Yufan had his heart set on someone, I've always wanted to meet her."

"I want to... see for myself, who is the girl that managed to captivate him. Was she going to be of a higher status than me? Or was she going to be prettier, more mature? Or more caring and observant?"

"But in reality, she disappoints me."

A cold look entered her eyes as Yun's gaze slowly hardened as well.

"How did you?" Biyu scoffed, tears rolling in her eyes. "How could you?"

"I grew up with him. I stayed by his side through each and every challenge that he faced, and I spent all my efforts and time and influence that I had so that he could rise to power in Court. I loved him, and I never regretted pouring my heart and soul into him."

"And then you just came along and took him away from me. I blamed myself for it at first. Maybe I wasn't supportive enough, or caring enough. I kept thinking there was something wrong with me that he had to choose the other girl over me."

Her voice cracked, and Yun, whom was incredulously and mad, suddenly felt sorry for her. It was hard not to, with her quivering lips and her flush red cheeks, she looked like a child that she'd wanted to hold and comfort.

Yun, what are you thinking? But it was hard to not feel sorry and pity her. She had even started to think of herself as the one whom had ruined the relationship between Yufan and Biyu.

"No." She finally said, her voice shaking. "Yufan told me different. And he said that he repaid you for everything that you did for him- he never took your help for granted."

"But he could never give me the one thing that I have always wanted, his love. And it's because of you." She laughed, a broken sound as she shoulders shook, like it was the funniest thing that she had ever heard.

"Yun. Listen carefully." Her voice became light again, the honey lacing the edges in her words. "Yufan is still promised to me. So, mark my words. I will have Yufan back. No matter what I have to do."

"No matter if the Intended promise bounds you for eternity, nor if he already decides to marry you immediately when he comes back from the warfront. I will make every single effort to take him from you."

"Well, you better try hard, because I will not be giving him up, ever." Yun said, placing the teacup on the table with a clink.

There was a frenzied look in Biyu's eyes that made her nerves stand slightly on edge. Maybe it was the duality that she was exhibiting, the one gentle, composed side that she normally showed; and this side that was fierce and fiery. But since it came to Yufan, she would not back down.

Yufan already fought for her so much, it is now time for her to fight back for him. And despite the fact that a foreboding sense filled her as she saw Biyu's silhouette disappeared into the darkening sky, she found herself wondering about what the future would hold for her and Yufan together.

Because she believed in true love for the both of them.