Chapter 18

Yun rose earlier than the rest of them, and for that, she was able to bathe in peace, despite all the maid servants sharing the same bathroom. As the water sloshed around her, it just struck how silent it was. Her mornings were often filled with the sounds of crickets from the garden, or the chirping of the birds overhead. Ling would come into her room soon, and her radiant manner would easily brighten up her day as well.

She felt alone, for the first time in her life. Her shoulders sagged as she realised that, stepping out of the tub of cold water. Her hands reached for one of the many same uniforms folded on the table.

It was a beige colour at the top, and slowly turned a pale blue at the botton. White and beige ribbons that were weaved together on the top of it, and Yun knew immediately that she had to wear it around her waist.

The door creaked and several maidens started to enter the bath room in pairs or small groups. Seeing them arrive, Yun quickly finished dressing herself. She did not know how to tie her hair though, and fumbled with her hair strands on the first few tries. She soon managed to wove two circles on either side of her hair decently allowing the rest to flow down her back and checked herself in the mirror self-consciously before she left.

She saw Eunuch Liu as soon as she stepped out of the bathroom however, and immediately turned the opposite way.

"You there."

Yun paused, before turning around unwillingly. The horsetail whisk swatted against Yun's arm again as he walked up towards her.

"You should know whom to choose later when we arrive at the Imperial Harem." He said cryptically. "Only our master can protect you from harm in the palace."

"I apologize Eunuch Liu, but I am afraid that I do not know what you are implying."

For the first time, Yun heard Eunuch Liu chuckle, albeit without much humour. It sent chills up her spine, and for the second time since she came to the Royal City, she felt the familiar pull of her light powers in her stomach. She glanced down, shuffling her sleeves to cover her palms the best as she could.

"You shall see. Again Yun, you already have a lot of powerful people interested in you."

"Pardon me, but I don't recall giving you my name." Yun called Eunuch Liu back. He paused, slanting his head slightly.

"That's because my master gave it to me. She wants you to join her, Yun, and she does not take no for an answer."

═════════════════

Yun tried to get the words of Eunuch Liu out of her mind, but they were too sinister too ignore. How could someone she had never met before partook an interest in her? And the tingling feeling that she had, it did not quell completely until Eunuch Liu had maintained a constant distance from her. Standing at the farthest end of the line again, she took small steps as she followed the row of the other maidservants chosen last night.

One thing that she was grateful for however, was the sun that shone down on them. It warmed her, despite it not being summer, and her nerves soothed out, her shoulder rolling back. It seemed to revitalise her and set her at peace. She had a sudden burst of confidence as she walked as well, trusting that everything can go the way that she wanted.

According to what Jin told her, Qi Die was supposed to enter the palace today in the morning. What she had to do was to ensure that she is not selected by any of the other consorts first before it was Qi Die's turn to select her. And that would have been an easier task if it wasn't for this mysterious master that had taken interest in her.

They took a left, and the walls of dull brick and stone opened up to a beautiful garden. Trees, lush and green were planted in the middle of the grounds, overlooking the small lotus and fish ponds. The rows and rows of flower bushes rustled as a breeze blew through the gardens, the scent intoxicating to Yun.