Chapter 32

"Yun, I heard that you were going to the wedding with the Huan King."

It was the next day, and somehow word had already gotten out that she was supposed to be his consort for the wedding.

Yun turned around, and saw that Jin was huffing as he rounded the corner from the large bell. His expression was pinched, which was very unusual of him.

"May I know who told you that?"

"So, you are going with him?" Jin's jaw dropped, looking on the verge of being angry. He clenched back his jaw and turned around, pinching his forehead with his hands.

"What's wrong?" Yun asked, a hint of concern dripping into her voice as she watched on. "You do not normally act this way."

"That's because I do not normally get jealous." He snapped, before his shoulders sagged and he sighed.

"Jealous?"

"Jin, what do you mean?" Yun's brows furrowed as she stood up and walked over to him. "Why are you jealous?"

The only way to describe jealousy, was the occurrence when you like someone. And to be honest, she had never had the feeling before, although it did make her quite uncomfortable when she experienced in her dreams.

"Jin?" She called out gingerly to him again.

"Yun, I don't know when this started, but I am done trying to run away from my feelings." Jin said, a steely resolve in his eyes as he turned around and looked at her. "I have never felt anything this strong before for anyone that I have ever met. And I can't bear the thought of not being able to express it to you any longer."

"I love you. Yun, I love you so much."

Her breath caught.

"Ever since the first day that we met, I thought you were different. I was intrigued, and I wanted to get to know you better. You are a mystery, so captivating to me that I could barely stand around you without wanting to learn about you. Then, somewhere, I think I fell in love with you."

"I love your wit, I love your determination, and I love your hardworking resolve." He said, stepping closer to her with each declaration he made. "I love everything about you that I have learned so far. I respect you, and I cherish you so much."

"I don't want a life without you in it." He finally said, reaching for her hands and clasping them together in his, the rough skin brushing over her smooth fingers.

"I- I never knew that you felt that way about me." Yun looked down at their hands, entwined. It was warm... and comforting, and her chest was blossoming with the feeling.

But suddenly she had a flashback of she and Yufan holding hands this exact same way, and they tightened.

"Yun, what's wrong?" Jin asked, looking concerned as she opened her eyes at him again.

"Nothing."

It came out as a whisper, but then Jin looked so happy and radiant, like the sun and everything that was bright and cheerful. "So, will you- will you, be together with me?"

"I-I.. I can't." Yun got the words out on the tip of her tongue. "Jin, we can't be together. In fact, I can't be together with anyone. I'm not supposed to."

Why are my feelings so complicated?

"I don't care about your identity, if that is what you are referring. Whether you are Lady Gu, from a noble family, or Yun, the girl that is Lord Xu's student, that doesn't mind. I love you for who you are, not what you have." His forehead pinched again.