Chapter 35

"Yun."

Yun turned over, clutching her scroll. It had been a few weeks since she had Yufan had finally decided to be in a relationship together, and it had made her quite jumpy, especially in public places such as where they were now, which was the library.

"Yes, Sister Su?"

"Shifu Nalan said that he wants to see you after lunch at his study."

Yun nodded, slowly letting out a breath she did not realise she had held.

It was hard keeping a relationship a secret, especially when she was around people all the time. And especially when the both of them were not supposed to be in a relationship. But the one thing that made it easier was the amount of time they were comfortable spending alone although they were both in a relationship together.

Since Yufan was busy with his military duties most of the time, they mostly write to each other. Once a week or once a fortnight, they would meet up on the roof to watch the moon, or Yun would make her way to the cave halfway on the top of the mountain, and they would spend some time together.

In his latest letter however, he said he had wanted to bring her to a new place where they could spend time together without fear of running into anyone. And she was excited and worried at the same time for it.

Because this means no turning back on a path that was by no means rational at all.

But oh well, since when liking someone was even rational in the first place?

═════════════════

"Yun, take a seat."

Yun curtsied and sat down on the small cushion in the study, right opposite from Shifu Nalan.

He was boiling something in a cauldron, his back faced towards her.

The whole room was silent as Yun looked at him with apprehension, feeling something was wrong.

Shifu Nalan then turned over, the frown on his face visibly even under layers of his bushy white moustache, and she was sure that something was wrong.

"I see that you've been going out more often lately." He said, looking down from his study desk, which was elevated on a raised platform. Books of all sorts were stacked neatly on top sides of it, along with small clay bottles and large jars of all shapes and sizes.

"Yes, Shifu Nalan." Yun lowered her eyes, not trusting them to not reveal anything to her Shifu. He had known her for too long, for he had practically raised her.

"Is it true that it is not because of your herbal studies, nor because of your healing in anyway?"

"... No. Shifu Nalan." Yun bowed her head even lower, and she shuffled to kneel on the floor instead of the cushion. "I acknowledge my mistake, and I would be willing to accept any punishment."

"For what?" He boomed strictly.

"For not focusing on my studies and my duties as a healer."

"And I should not punish you on the negligence of keeping yourself a secret of the outside world?"

"Shifu?" Yun lifted her head, shocked.

"I know that you have been friends with a member of the Royal Family, and I cannot allow this to continue. You will forfeit your friendship with him, or you will be grounded on the Isle forever."