Chapter 4

"Father, I do not see the reason we have to—"

"High General Jin helped us at the manor the other day, and I think that it is only fair if we treat him to a meal before he leaves Guiying."

A few moments of silence passed, before Yun finally nodded. "Yes, Father."

"It will be alright, what could happen over a meal?" Lord Gu tried to soften his tone.

"I understand, Father." Yun stood up from her seat. "I will get ready for lunch."

═════════════════

"Thank you for accepting our invite, High General."

Yun turned slightly as she heard her father's voice coming from just around the corner of the hall. She lowered her head again, her fingers brushing past a pair of chopsticks, setting them straight.

"It is I that should thank you for inviting me, Lord Gu."

This time, it was Jin's voice that she heard. And soon enough, the pair crossed the threshold into the dining hall.

Yun turned over, and blinked at his funny manner as he paused slightly, staring at her with wide eyes. She cocked an eyebrow, and Jin turned towards Lord Gu again, stammering over several words as he attempted to continue the conversation from before.

Yun looked down at herself, and brushed at her robes self-consciously. It wasn't as if she was dressing up like the day she went to the manor. She'd just cleaned herself up and changed her hairstyle into something more presentable.

Is it the hair? Or the clothes?

"Please, have a seat." Lord Gu said as Yun discarded her thoughts.

Jin just nodded. He took a seat right next to Lord Gu, so Yun took the seat next to her father as well, but on the other side.

"I have to thank you for the other day by helping Yun, I do not know what has gotten into her." Lord Gu stated.

"I was just carrying out my duty." He waved it aside.

It was true that he had helped her in small ways after the prayer ceremony. After she had come back a bit dazed, he had prompted responses from her whenever someone had asked her questions. He had also helped to deflect them in certain occasions, which had allowed her some time to process what had happened. On one moment, when they were asked to show their wrists, Jin had to get her attention back again and she had belatedly raised her hand. He'd also reassured that everything was fine when the Governor looked at her wrist twice as the red thread was different from the other girls.

"Even if so, we still owe you for that." Lord Gu raised his tea cup towards Jin. Yun picked up hers as well while Jin did the same. "You have my thanks."

They downed it at the same time, Yun lifting her sleeve to cover the cup.

"Even so, I hope it will not be too much to ask of you if Yun needs any help when she enters the palace."

"Father." Yun looked at him, her eyes wide.

"Lady Yun is well-mannered and has a silver tongue. I am sure that she won't need to much of my help." Jin smiled, the edge of his lips curving.

"If that is so, then it will be best." Lord Gu chuckled. "Let us eat."

═════════════════

"Your father is a merry one, Lady Yun."

Yun was standing next to the small koi pond in the gardens, and Jin's voice caught her by surprise. She turned over hastily, only to find herself leaning backwards.