Chapter 43

The strong breeze caught on her hair as she paced under the shade of a tree near the entrance of the Palace of Excellence.

She had been waiting for almost half an hour in the heat, and wondered who it was that Lord Xu said was going to meet her.

Footsteps echoed against the stone, hesitant ones, and Yun turned around, locking eyes immediately with Jin.

Her cheeks burned, and she noticed that his ears were red too.

It's because of the heat. She told herself. It's the heat.

My blush is because of the heat, and my heart is racing as well due to the heat. We've been under the sun for too long.

"Yun." Jin started in a meek manner that she wasn't used to seeing. "I want to talk to you about something. But we should really step out of the heat first."

Yun nodded, and she led him to the mess hall where various disciples were still eating. A few of them glanced over but quickly turned back.

"I'm sorry if I did anything improper last night." He said, after sitting down together for a few minutes but refusing to make eye contact. "I will send for a matchmaker to raise a wedding proposal to Lord Xu soon."

Yun lifted head's shot up immediately.

"I- no- It's-" Her brain was not working.

It is not working.

Jin just widened his eyes slowly at what Yun was trying to say.

"I- I-"

"Nothing happened between the two of you. And Yun does not want to get married."

Someone suddenly said loudly behind them, causing the both of them to jump.

Yun was horrified, but she felt somewhat grateful that Ying did not mentioned it happened last night, which made it sound a lot better.

"And your time is over." Announced someone else, which sent a chill down her spine.

Why would he be here?

"Lord Xu!" Jin stood up.

"She will say no to the marriage proposal." Lord Xu replied flatly, the amber glow of his eyes drowned out by the sunlight. "And again, nothing happened between you two."

"I expect you to be back at the study soon." He turned away, and Yun watched as he left the mess hall, the other disciples bowing to him.

"Yun?"

"Yes, Yufan?"

Her eyes widened as she realized that she had called Jin wrongly. While Jin's eyes narrowed.

"Who's Yufan?"

"An old friend." Yun said, trying to look firm. After another few moments of staring, Jin looked away, and nodded.

"Still, I am sorry for last night. But since you are busy, you should go first, we can talk soon some other time." Jin shrugged. He held out his hand.

Yun held out hers and well, and Jin dropped something into it.

"This is so that you can enter the High General's Residence without anybody blocking you. If there's anything you need help with, you will be allowed to send for me immediately as well with this."

Yun nodded, sliding it into her sleeve.

"Thank you. Good day."

--

Lord Xu was seated when she came into the room.

"Why were you outside just now, Lord Xu?"

"Why can't I not be outside?" He shrugged, looking at her with his amber eyes glowing. "But enough of that, you'll be starting your training back regarding your elemental powers. Try to be able to pull your dagger in and out of the air before Ying attacks you."