Chapter 20

"You're smart." He commented, appreciation colouring his voice. The scroll in his hand was sat down on the table as he leaned forwards.

"Very well then. But it is a long story that you must be prepared to listen first."

Yun nodded defiantly. "I can listen."

"I can see."

A gust of wind suddenly blew in a violent manner towards Yun, and she found her hair loosened, sticking out in all places. She cast a suspicious glance towards the window, her fingers running through her hair to smoothen them out.

Turning back to Lord Xu, she saw that he cast a look at Ying, and she turned back again. Ying just looked away, a sheepish smile stretching on her face.

Yun pieced two and two together again, then shot her the same look as Lord Xu did just now.

"My apologies. Ying can get a bit immature when it comes to my issues sometimes."

"It's fine." Yun cocked her head. She knew that she was rude, and Ying probably did not like it from the way she spoke of him, like she really idolized him. But she probably did, and not just idolizing him, she probably likes him.

With that realization, she flickered her gaze from Lord Xu to Ying and back again, but none of them said anything else.

"So, do continue. Please."

"Well, Yun. It has come to my attention that you possess a gift. Something, quite rare. Even in our kind."

"How did you know?"

"I have my ways. But that I know by simply looking at the near past."

Yun blinked, confused.

He continued however, seemingly oblivious to her expression. "In our kind, there has been a war since the start of time. But it further escalated in the near centuries. And within those few centuries, we have lost many."

"We have to end it as soon as possible, and we cannot let our enemies win this war. Therefore, we need all the help we can get. Your abilities could prove to be tide-changing."

"You must be mistaken. My abilities are meager and they would do nothing to help much, that I am sure of." Yun shook her head. "Besides, this war... It has continued for centuries, what if it doesn't end soon? Would I not get to ever leave?"

"You would, turn your back on your kind?"

"My... kind? I'm sorry, but did you get the wrong person? I am just a mortal being. And all of us should be the same kind, by reason."

"We are of the same kind." Lord Xu nodded. "But, if we are not mortal, then you are not mortal either."

"No, that can't be true. If we are not mortal, then what are we?" Yun laughed it off, shaking her head.

"Yun, do mortals have powers like we do?"

He asked softly, but it pierced through her heart. These dreams, and this power that she has, they were not normal.

"But if I'm not mortal, then I can't be anything else."

"You can be." He stated, locking eyes with her, the gold starting to swirl again. "You are an Immortal. Like the two of us in this room are."

"Immortals?" She turned towards Ying, whom nodded.

"It's true."

"That can't be true. I spent years growing up here, as a mortal, and my mother gave birth to me normally as well. I can't be an Immortal."