Chapter 12

"So, is there something between you and High General Jin?" Ling asked while she helped Yun to get dressed after a bath.

It was already late in the afternoon that they finally settled down after almost a week of carriage riding across the country.

"No." Yun stated simply. "We're just acquaintances, like the other ladies that I am affiliated with."

"You don't consider him a friend? Or, more than a friend?" There was a suggestive tone to Ling's voice, and it made her slightly uncomfortable.

"We're acquaintances. And I think that's the most we can be. A married woman shall not be affiliated in other manners with a man that is not her husband."

"Yes, having an affair is wrong." Ling quickly continued before Yun could say anything. "But making friends is not. Besides, I think that High General Jin likes having you around."

Short raps on the wooden doors halted their conversation. The two girls exchanged a gaze before Ling set down the comb she was pulling through Yun's hair on the table and went to slid open the door. Yun slid slightly inwards so that she was blocked from immediate sight and trained a watchful eye on the entrance.

Yun watched as Jin appeared behind the door. Ling let out a small squeal of excitement when she saw him but she calmed down when Yun gave her a chastising expression.

"High General Jin, what brings you here?" She asked, unable to keep the excitement out of her voice.

"I, uh, I was just wondering if I could show Yun around the Royal City." He said, looking as though he was trying to convince himself while Yun looked slightly flustered as she turned over to face the mirror she was sitting in front of. "I thought that she would like it before going into the palace tomorrow."

"Sure. I'll send her out once I'm done with her."

Yun whirled around, surprised at that statement. "Ling!"

Jin looked equally surprised as well when Ling shut the door in his face and rushed towards her side.

"Ling, I have no intention of going out with High General Jin."

"I know, but Milady, weren't you always fascinated by Lord Gu's recounts of the Royal City now?" Ling's round innocent eyes seem to plead with her. "And now you have an escort to walk you around so that you can see for yourself. Besides, I heard that the Lantern Festival is not an event to miss when you are in the Royal City."

That seem to sway her a little bit. It was true that she would like to see the sights herself, but she did not want to be closely affiliated with another man before her marriage as it would mar her family name. But if she put that fact aside, she liked spending time with Jin, that she will not deny. He was much different than her usual company, and a familiar face at the same time.

Seeming to take her silent consideration as an agreement, Ling quickly pulled her hair out of her face and begun to weave an intricate pattern out of the strands and deftly slipping pins into them.

"I never said I was going!" Yun protested with wide eyes.

"I'm not letting you have the chance to say so." She quipped back playfully as she slipped a piece of rouge paper in between her lips, and Yun pressed her lips together automatically, making her unable to speak. Powder was quickly patted onto her cheeks, and then more rouge powder.

As Ling pulled out the paper from her lips, she protested again, but Ling basically helped her dressed in one of her best while humming loudly over her voice, ignoring her indignant and exasperated words.

Then, finally, she was dragged across the room all the way to the door, where Ling helped to pushed her out and over the threshold of the room, shutting the door.