Chapter 45

"Yun?"

"Yes?" Yun turned around, her hair billowing in the breeze as she saw Jin standing in front of her. He had donned the exact same armour that he had worn the first time that she saw him, the bronze glinting in the sunlight.

"Where are you off to?" The question tumbled out of Yun's mouth before she could stop herself.

"Well, I am sending you off, I guess." He smiled, brighter than the sun that they both were standing in. "It would only be befitting, right, if the person that brought you here will be the one that will send you home."

"Besides, I promised your father I would protect you as well."

Yun lips stretched momentarily. "I suppose."

"You, are going to come back... right?" He asked after a moment of silence between them.

"I don't know."

She didn't know.

Would she ever be able to pick between two homes? To make a choice in between her new and old life? Or between families by blood or by bonds that she created?

She didn't want to have to make the choice, because she didn't want to lose both.

"But I promise that this won't be the last you see of me." Yun said, and surprising herself with even another move of boldness, she reached up and cupped his cheek. "You won't have to worry, because I don't want this to be the last time we meet either."

"You know, sometimes you confuse me." Jin stated, his voice low, as he covered her hand with his. His warm gaze locked onto hers, searching. "And people are watching us."

"They are." Yun stated simply, and pulled back her hand. "And besides, you confuse me too."

Patters of footsteps could be heard in the distance, and Yun turned to see Ying running over to them.

"Well, it looks like we're all prepared for the trip now." Yun said, lifting her head to stare at the sky.

It was a clear blue, and she felt her heart swell looking at it.

The skies in Guiying are this blue as well.

 ═════════════════

Yun opened the curtain, looking out at the scenery. She had only passed this road once when she came to the palace, and now she was going back to Guiying. Nostalgia enveloped her completely. But still, the clear skies put her in a better mood than usual, as the weather was slower getting colder again.

It was almost autumn now. And she suddenly realized that she was a different girl than when she went to the palace in the early spring. She had an aim, a purpose in life that she wanted to head towards to, instead of only living life based on what her father wanted to do. And no longer did she feel guilty when she wanted to pursue the things that she liked.

On a lighter note as well, she had muscles now. She wore pants more than she did dress robes. And her drawing skills probably had regressed, which would not make her father too pleased.

"It feels weird. Coming back to a home which is not mine." Qi Die mused. She and Ling were seated opposite her in the carriage, which was larger and more comfortable than the ones she'd sat before.

They had a few more days before they reached Guiying, so she had opted for more casual dress. She looked more like the girl they'd met in the tea shop rather than the regal, elegant consort in the palace.

"It is an honour to welcome you back nonetheless. It's your home now as much as it is mine." Yun smiled at her. "I already think of you as one of my closest friends, and I truthfully, wouldn't mind if you are family."