Chapter 23

Yun gripped her hands tightly as she waited in front of the door. This time, she came alone instead of coming together with Ying. And she didn't even know whether Lord Xu would be in his study. But she had to try.

Besides, she was sure that he would know she would be here. It was just about whether he wanted to talk to her.

The door swung open slightly, and Yun exhaled, forcing her stiff shoulders down and her head up as she entered the room.

Instead of seeing the night sky through the windows, she saw a beautiful sunset, more exquisite than she had ever seen before. The oranges, pinks and reds shone throughout the sky as the round sun set against the ocean.

Lord Xu was still sitting at his desk, reading through another scroll.

"I am ready to listen your deal." He said nonchalantly, placing it down as Yun walked towards the centre of the room. But from where she stood, the calculating gaze in his eyes was clear, a strong contrast to her defiant gaze.

She knew that she had to tread lightly, and that each of the conditions that she say will have to be what he wants right away.

"I am willing to accept the conditions that you first told me." Yun begun. "But I have a few conditions myself that I want you to accept as well."

"First, I want my father protected at all costs. I saw that the demons can do, and I do not want my father to be put in such danger. I also want to be able to write to him, so that I can know that he is safe."

"Second, Qi Die, Ling and Jin are to be kept out of harm's way as well. They should not have to worry about any more demon attacks aiming for them."

"In return for their safety, I will be your student willingly. And I would fight in the war that you are talking about once you deem me fit to."

Lord Xu smiled, one corner of his lip pulling higher than the other.

"It seems like you are putting in more than you want to give out." His amber eyes flashed before they closed.

"You have my promise." He finally said, opening them after a long while.

Yun let out a breath that she did not know she was holding, and nodded. "Then, I will not bother you any further, Lord Xu."

She curtsied and left, forcing herself not to immediately run out the door the instance she saw it. Closing it shut, she rested against it until her breath evened out slightly.

As long as all of you are safe.

She no longer had a freedom, and it was only now that it hit her. But she tried not to think too much about it. Worrying will not do her any good as her decision was made.

═════════════════

Yun blew out the candles and prepared for bed when someone knocked on the door.

She paused, stepping towards the side of the room where she would not immediately be seen if it was thrown open.

The knocks came again, more rapidly.

"Yun, it's me."

Yun's shoulders immediately dropped at that, a relieved sigh escaping her lips.

"Are you already asleep?"

Through the thin paper of the door, Yun could see that Ying was leaning against it, trying to see whether there were candles still left unlit.

Walking over to the door, she pulled it open, and Ying wobbled, but quickly caught her balance.