Chapter 46

Yun ran back to the group of soldiers fighting, but not before she cast a glance to Ying and Jin.

They were working together perfectly. Ying wielded her blades with startling dexterity, slashing through the fire with sabres as strong air gusts blew the fire rings Xiao conjured apart while Jin was engaged in combat directly with Xiao, their swords ringing as they traded slashes and stabs.

A rock that nearly caused her to trip brought her back to the present again, where she focused on running. She made it just in time to prevent one of the demons from slashing down on Jin's warriors with its nails, standing right in between them.

Yun took a deep breath, and blew as hard as she could. And just as she'd hoped, a gust of strong wind knocked the demon over backwards.

Another sunburst flare conjured itself from her palms, the close proximity she'd had with these creatures sending her body into a manic. The light overflowed, and she directed it to the demon in the way Xiao taught her.

The sheer strength of the blast threw her backwards by several feet, and she landed sprawled onto the ground. The demon roared at the same time as it flew the same distance as she did. Smoke wafted from the motionless creature as Yun kept an eye on it, shakily standing up.

"Where are you injured?" She turned around to the man, and grabbing his hand, forced the light powers she had to fuse into through his arm, little by little until there was only a silver scar across the length of his arm. Her other hand tapped on the visible bruises that he had, healing it immediately.

"Does your arm feel better now?" She asked, and he nodded instantly, albeit looking a little too energetic. He shot up and charged with a war cry into the fray of battle again while Yun watched, dumbfounded.

Did I by chance channelled too much power into him?

She stood up and headed into the fray of the battle herself, gripping her dagger again tightly as she walked. Around her, the stench of blood filled the air. And even as she walked, a body landed right by her feet, the man's eyes staring lifeless in the air.

A warcry echoed in her right, and she turned, allowing the sunburst powers to build up and let loose from her extended palm. A heavy thump echoed, and she knew she had felled another.

Descriptions of war flashed through her head, all of which had been told to her by Yufan. She'd never thought that she would see this all by herself one day, in the middle of the battleground.

Everywhere she turned, she could see exhaustion and desperation gradually overtaking Jin's men. Although they worked in pairs, and traded blows with the demons, their strikes were getting disorganised even though they were still vigorous in strength.

Two more of the soldiers were struck down with brute force even as she rushed to her aid. Her heart twisted as she rushed forwards, but she could not save both at one time. She managed to catch one man in her arms, softening his fall with some wind.

The other one was only dead when he hit the ground, the light going out of his eyes as his head cracked against a rock. The sound echoed in her head, causing her to shudder.

The light flowed through him, as Yun hastened to heal his wound. At the same time, she gritted her teeth as she conjured another wind shield behind her, blocking the demon who attempted to attack her from behind. Its roar of frustration was deafening, and it tried to fight against the wind shield to get to her.

Her hands were only lifted when the man was completely healed, and he stood up, wobbling as he said a thanks to Yun. His back was gaunt, but he hefted his sword anyway as he headed to help another one of his comrades.