Chapter 42

A golden glow appeared in the air, and within a blink of Yun's eyes, Lord Xu appeared. He soared down towards Ying first. And within that split second, Yun's hands were up, and she managed to deflect the last wave of fire. But she was knocked backwards onto the ground again.

"It's nice to see you again, Lord of Time." Xiao said, putting away his sword as Yun watched. "I thought you weren't to meddle in these affairs?"

"I am not to. But I can meddle in affairs regarding my students' safety." Lord Xu's reply was steely. "Three of them in one night is too many."

He turned over to Ying, and gave her a thorough look up and down to make sure that she was unharmed.

"Your time here is up, Xiao." He said in such a commanding manner that Xiao did not even move to question him nor evade. With a flick of his wrist, a gold time stamp imprinted itself against the white robes that Xiao wore. It flared, and then Xiao seemed to fold in on himself before disappearing completely.

Lifting her head around them, she saw that time stamps had been burnt all around her. On the grass, the trees and the hallways, searing off into gold dust as they restored her surroundings to their original appearance before the fight.

Ying ran over to Yun just then. "Let me help you carry him up."

Yin nodded gratefully, and they both propped him up, one arm around each girl. Lord Xu walked up to her and looked at her up and down appraisingly. He seemed to be in a bad mood tonight.

"Why didn't you come sooner, Lord Xu?" Yun found herself asking, feeling utterly confused. "You would've known right?"

Lord Xu face instantly morphed into one that she had saw when he was fighting in the alleyway the first time they had saw each other, cold and detached. "Help has timing. And even though I knew that you were in trouble, I could not intervene until this time. Some struggles you need to go through yourself in order to learn."

Ying shoved her lightly, and that reminded her that she still needed to heal Jin. And to stop asking questions.

"Lord Xu, can I take him back-"

"No. People will realize that he is missing."

"Then allow me to help send him back. It's already late and the celebrations are over. No one will suspect if he already reaches home."

However, Lord Xu looked at Ying sideways when he said that, and the daggers that he glared made them both of them stand on edge. "You're coming with me. I'll send them off."

Yun hissed and looked down at the back of her palm. Lord Xu had burnt a timestamp into the flesh. But instead of the previous ones that she had seen, this timestamp was almost translucent, shimmering lightly. Her hand felt like it was going numb however.

She looked at Lord Xu, confused, and realized that his forehead was covered in cold sweat. It was then she felt like she was tugged forwards, and then she felt pushed from the back, tumbling into and around time and space. Her eyes were shut tight, and she kept a firm hand on Jin until she felt her grasp pried open.

She opened her eyes. And despite the knowing that she had, it still surprised her slightly that she was in a totally different place. A bed was sitting next to her, and inside, Jin slept soundly, the blanket tucked under his chin.

Puzzled, she walked towards him, and gently, shuffled down the blanket. He was already dressed in his bedclothes, but Yun still had to check on his wounds. Her fingers trailed down to the string that tied his bedclothes together, hesitating slightly before she tugged on them.

Something flashed in her mind's eye however. A series of images. Her mind hurt as the memories put themselves in her head.

She saw Ying and herself flying over roofs of the city. They landed in a small glade at Jin's manor. She then carried Jin by the arm with Ying again and brought him back here, to his bedroom. She healed Jin, and then changed him into more comfortable bed clothes. And then, it all stopped, catching up to the present.