Chapter 6

The bushes rustled as Yun turned around, a dagger already in one of her hands. She kept her eyes on the continued rustling, slowly backing away. It stopped, and someone stepped out from behind it.

Yun sighed as she put down the dagger. "Why do you keep following me, Your Highness?"

For the past week or so, whenever she had gone out on her rounds for herbs, Prince Yufan was always bound to turn up, one way on the other. She had caught him flying overhead on the trees as she did her rounds, sneaking up on her through bushes. He appeared almost immediately every time that she needed help. Sometimes, it was just helping her carry her basket and clearing her path, other times, he would help her get herbs at precarious places or helped to made sure she was safe by lingering at a close distance if she went herself.

He shrugged, and proceeded to stare at her without saying anything, crossing her hands.

"Your Highness, I'm sure that your time will be better spent elsewhere. So, would you please leave me alone? I will be fine."

More silence.

"Or was it something that you needed, Your Highness?"

Silence, with head shaking this time.

"Then, may I please know what do you want?"

"I just want to spend time around here. But you're the only one I know, so, if I am not spending it around you, whom am I going to spend my time with?" He finally said, looking slightly embarrassed as he did so.

"Shouldn't you go back to the Court of Nine Palace soon though, Your Highness?" Her voice softened at that. What he said was true. She hadn't brought him back to the Sky Manor to be acquainted with the other healers before, and she was sort of responsible for that problem.

"I don't really want to." He stated lightly as he walked over to stand beside her, pushing some thorny brambles out of the way. His scales appeared, covering his arms and neck as he did so, holding it for Yun. "It's been a long way since I had the chance to rest, and I really don't want it to end yet, no matter how irresponsible it might be."

He turned over and locked eyes with Yun. And in them, Yun saw the hint of silvery-white again. She didn't know what it was about them, but she thought that they were absolutely breath-taking. Her knees went weak slightly as she stepped forwards, and Yufan's hand shot out to steady her.

"Are you tired already?"

"No." She snapped, her voice a bit louder than usual. "No. Ahem. I'm fine, thank you Your Highness, that was kind of you."

He nodded and let go of her, the warmth of his hand still lingering on her arm. "Where are we going next?"

"I still need some Juling grass before I'm done for the day. But we are going to have to go further into the isle for it, Your Highness."

"Don't call me that." He said suddenly. "You can call me Yufan."

"Yufan?" She turned around to look at him, hesitantly trying out his name. His reaction was somewhat of a surprised one, and his cheeks grew red slightly.

"Yes?"

"It's actually a nice name." Yun said quickly, getting slightly embarrassed herself as she ducked her head to avoid the thicker vines overhead. She was grateful for the thickening canopy, the darker lightning making her flustered face less visible.

"Can I call you Yun?" He asked suddenly.

"Yes. Sure. It's only fair that you can call me by my first name when I'm calling you yours."