Chapter 14--The hidden truth

Ingressus pov.

I sit up abruptly and realize I'm back at the camp that I was raised. The snow presses between my fingers and I glance around at the lost landscape. I stop abruptly at seeing the familiar markings of two children running around. I walk closer, realizing that they can't see me. I recognize one of the children as myself and the other.... I freeze at the sight of my former mate, I watch as the younger version of myself tackles Sanari, giggling. This was at a time when Dominus was alive.... when I wasn't the master of the Voltaris and everything was ok.

"That's not fair." Younger Sanari giggles.

Younger me gets off of her and helps her up. The younger versions of me and my mate smile at each other happily. I smile sadly then hear the crunching of snow and whip around quickly, pulling out my sword. 

"Come out whoever you are!" I call looking around. The crunching snow continues and to my surprise Sanari comes out from behind a snowbank., but something is off. Her markings no longer glow the comforting ruby that they did before, her eyes are a very dim red and she has a large hole in her breast and stomach. I stop and shake slightly at seeing my mate.

*I'm not the best artist and it might be a bit unclear, but I tried*

"S-Sanari?" I stammer quietly and she advances towards me slowly.

"You're so jumpy..." She says quietly, her familiar voice soft. "But why would you do it?"

"Do what?" I ask sheathing my sword and watching her carefully as she circles me. 

"Why would you torture and abandoned your own daughter when she needs you most?" Sanari asks and I stop. My daughter?

"I know nothing of this daughter of ours, I don't even know her." I respond and Sanari's face drops. 

"But you have. You've seen her many times, in fact she's just beside the window right now." Sanari says. 

I stop realizing what she means. 

"S-she's a Sendaris." I manage to stammer. 

"But do you remember the names we were talking about when I first told you that I was expecting?" She asks and I stop for a moment.

"Yes...." I say.

"Do you remember the one name that we were set on?" Sanari asks. "One that we both liked?"

"Addison." I reply, trying to be as calm as possible.

"And what would her nickname be?" Sanari asks.

"Addy." I respond, "But she's a Sendaris."

"But she isn't." Sanari insists.

"So why didn't you come and see me when I returned then? why did I never get to see her until now?" I demand gripping her chin and forcing her to look at me even though her eyes are as lifeless as I could even imagine from my mate. Her eyes were normally bright and cheerful but now she looked.... sad.

"I died long before Addy was taken by Tygren. If I was there, I would have stopped him from taking her and went with him with Addy there as well." Sanari says sorrowfully.

"But she told me her mother was Katrina." I say.

"She lied; I told her to never tell anyone anything about herself." Sanari says and I let go of her chin turning away. "Don't be too rough on her when you confront her, please just ask her about it and make her show you. I enjoyed having this time with you." She says and kisses me on the lips lightly, then she's gone.

Addy's pov.

I glance back as Ingressus flinches slightly. I go back to looking out of the window. Snow sprinkles down on the windowsill and I glance around tucking my hair behind my ear. I hear Ingressus get out of bed, and I stay at the windowsill as he walks up beside me.

"Your mother was Sanari." He says and I freeze. How did he figure it out?

I glance back at him, and he continues to look out the window then he presses his hand against the windowsill. 

"How did you know?" I ask.

"Because...." He tails off. "You're not actually a Sendaris either."

He averts my question and I turn away back to looking out of the window.

"Did you...... know my mother?" I ask nervously and he sighs looking away.

"I knew her very well, better than anyone did... even her own father." He says and I raise my eyebrows, wanting to know more. 

"How?" I ask quietly. Ingressus examines his nails for a moment then looks up.

"She was.... my mate." He says seeming nervous himself for once. 

"But--" I start, and he sighs handing me a knife. I stop realizing that he now knows I'm his daughter. I take it carefully and start to scrape off the song illusion. The illusion flickers for a moment and I scrape the rest of it off. Ingressus gazes down at my markings. So similar to his that he's shocked. He reaches out and runs his fingers along my markings and I breath in slightly. He stops then grabs my arm and leads me gently down to the bottom of the dorms.

"Since you are my daughter, you can call me 'father' or rarely 'Ingressus' if you can manage." He tells me and I nod. We go outside and he heads to Vena's hut. I turn over and grip the edge of the hut waiting as Ingressus goes inside. I hear voices then shuffling then Ingressus peeks his head out and gestures for me to come inside with him. I go inside and Vena smiles.

"Come here sweetheart." She says and I walk over sitting on the bed and letting her heal my wounds. I grumble uncomfortably as she gets the potion.

"Be warned she is very stubborn when it comes to drinking that stuff." Ingressus says and I toss and glare at his mischievous gaze as Vena walks over with a small smile.

"I'm sure I've delt with worse." She assures him.

"We'll see about that." He chuckles and I roll my eyes.

"I'm not that stubborn." I grumble and Vena hands me a cup. I take it and glance inside before gulping it down. I gag at the taste and Ingressus rolls his eyes this time.

"Sir, I have a question." Vena informs him and he nods, gesturing for her to go on.

"When will we be moving to Hailstone? Soon or will we wait a bit?" She asks and I spit out the water I was drinking sputtering and wiping my mouth off. Ingressus raised his eyebrows at me for a moment before returning his attention back to Vena.

"We will move.... soon." He says and she nods. "As soon as tonight." 

"We're moving?" I ask.

"Yes, it is unsafe if the rest of the clans know of my return, yet." He tells me and I look outside seeing a glimpse of gold. I pause wondering if I should tell my father, but I decide not to and turn back. I yawn slightly and lay down on the bed. Ingressus smiles and I close my eyes waiting to leave.