Chapter 17-- Lessons

Ingressus pov.

I squeeze Addy's hand tighter as we walk through Hailstone to get to the eating quarters so that the entire clan can eat together. Addy leans over slightly causing me to hold her hand tighter. She pulls herself back up and I keep looking forward, not saying anything. Lost in thought. You tortured your own daughter. My brain reminds me unmercifully. I sigh then loop my arm over her shoulder letting go of her hand and leading her over. We turn and walk into one of the towers where many Voltaris are gathered, and they bow to me. I gesture for them to stop, and they go back to eating. I go up and get food for me and Addy and see her peeking out a window and listening to the commotion. I walk up and tap her shoulder to get her attention causing her to jump and spin around with wide eyes. 

"Relax it's just me." I say and touch her shoulder then gesturing for her to go over to a table. She nods and walks over sitting down and resting her head on her arms. I look out the window that she was looking out a few moments ago and Tygren walks up beside me.

"When are we attacking the Vault, Master Ingressus?" Tygren asks and I look towards him slightly.

"Tomorrow and Addy is coming with us, you must help me protect her at all costs I will not have anything bad happening to her." I say and Tygren nods.

"And one more question...." Tygren says.  "Did Addy ever tell you how guarded The Vault was?" 

I feel a stab of pain and guilt deep inside me. I was cold enough to almost kill my daughter and I didn't even care when I first caught her. I adjust and hold my hands behind my back.

"No she did not but we will have ground forces covering that for us." I say and Tygren nods, bows, then walks away. I go over to Addy being as loud as I can as not to startle her. She looks over to me as I stand behind her. 

"Let's train again." I say. "You'll need it when we go to the vault." 

She yawns slightly but nods regardless. 

"Alright get extra water this time." I say and pat her on the shoulder as I walk away to get the training swords. I come back down and then go out the door to meet with my daughter who looks towards me once I come out of the door. She waits for me to walk up to her and lets me lead her out of Hailstone. We walk for a bit and to my surprise Addy only complains once.

"Father, when will we be there and where are we going?" She asks and I turn heading down a few rocks. We go down near the beach and her entire face lights up.

 She runs for the water watching the waves go over her feet

 She runs for the water watching the waves go over her feet. She digs her toes into the sand, and I walk up beside her. She looks down then looks over at me as I pick up a shell and hand it to her. She takes it and cups it in her hand tracing the design. I gesture for her to walk along the edge of the beach the waves barley a few inches away from us.

"I used to walk along a beach with a friend of mine and collect shells just like this." I tell her as we walk, and she bends down picking up another shell. She shows me and I smile. 

"Who was your friend?" Addy asks and I find myself avoiding my daughter's gaze. 

"No one important......" I say and Addy seems to know she shouldn't push me any further and turns back to watching the waves with a curious expression.

"I wish I would have brought a backpack or something for all of this." She says and I hand her a backpack that I brought with us for this occasion. She grins and puts the shells in the backpack and runs forward grabbing more shells and putting them in her backpack as well. I follow her making sure that nothing bad happens to her. She looks towards the ocean right as a dolphin leaps out of the water. Her eyes widen and she rushes over to the waves running into them and splashing water onto the back of her legs. 

"Did you see that?!" She cries pointing and jumping up and down. I nod while smiling at her excitement. She runs further into the waves until it's up to her waist and I follow her out of the fear that she'll slip and perhaps drown. I walk up beside her and she goes deeper spinning and making ripples around her. She turns and squints seeing a school of fish swim by and goes deeper until it covers her chest and her head and neck and sticking out. She turns towards me with a curious face at my concerned expression.

"Well, if you don't want me to drown come on!" she tells me and I hesitantly take a step forward widening my eyes when she goes deeper and using Tygren's Mobliport song to get to her and grab her from behind. She swirms slightly as I lift her out of the water going back over to land. I set her down once we're out and toss her a wooden sword.

"Try not to fall in." I say smugly and her eyes widen as I jump towards her and she dodges to the side, nearly falling in but straightening herself and moving into a defensive stance.

Addy pov.

Ingressus shoots past me and stops in front of a mound of sand jumping off of it and clashing swords with me. I duck as he swipes again and he spins activating another song, Mobliwings, the same one as me which makes it harder for me. I dodge as he lands where I previously stood. He pokes me in the back when I don't expect it and I spin around as he twirls his sword with a smug expression.

"Oh common!" I shout. "I would have won if I wasn't tired!"

"Really?" He asks smugly and I fling my head up with an offended expression.

"Are you questioning my abilities?" I ask.

"Yes." He says without a moments hesitation. I move out of my defensive stance with a startled look.

"You don't love me?!" I say as sad as I can and start fake crying walking around mindlessly and finally settling for a tree to start banging my forehead on. 

"Ok stop." My father says, prying me away from the tree.

"Boom," I say adn poke him in the chest.

"That's cheating!" he calls after me as I run off to the other side of the area.

"Is it?" I pretend to act shocked, and he spins the sword.

"So, you want it harder?" He asks and I nod moving into a defensive stance. Ingressus mirrors me and we charge at each other. Ingressus activates Mobliwings again which one of the Voltaris let him borrow and I dodge to the side as he swoops above me and lands on a tree. I spin as he jumps down and swipes at me. 

"I'm guessing this is medium?" I pant trying to hold his sword off as he presses my sword closer to my face making me advert my gaze to keep from getting a sliver in my nose. 

"No, it's hard-easy." He says and tries to disarm me again, but I stop him. I punch him in the side then slide under his arm, getting dirt on my back. I get up about to brush myself off but knowing that he'll win if I don't start fighting. I clash swords with him again and he manages to knock me back. I jump forward and roll on the ground on my side then poke him in the stomach. Flinging back up with a triumphant expression. he breathes out in a sigh or a pant I don't know and sits down on a nearby rock.  I jump into a small pool of water to get the mud off grabbing my legs, so I don't bellyflop. Ingressus chuckles as I pop back up smoothing back my now damp hair. I climb out and brush the leaves off of me then walk over to him cheerfully.

"Was that fun?" He asks and I nod franticly. Ingressus smiles and drinks some of his own water patting beside him and I bound over and plop down next to my father. He smiles and starts rubbing my back calming me down enough that I feel ok.