Chapter 24-- Watchers

Addy pov.

"This is a terrible idea and if my father catches us... were dead." I hiss.

"He won't kill us." Elaina snorts. "We're female!"

"So?" I demand and she looks at me wearily.

"Addy, he'll be thanking us for this. We can figure out where that clanless boy is and where the Prime Song he has is." Elaina says confidently.

"So, you don't know?" I ask as we continue to wonder away from the camp.

"You have no uter clue where they are?" I demand and Elaind pauses for a moment.

"We will figure it out!" She declares and I sigh at my best friend's ridiculousness. "They'll be really loud!"

"We don't know that!" I point out. "They might be super quiet and see us before we see them and kill us!"

"But they won't." She declares. "We will be like the foxes!"

I sigh as she walks forward confidently.

"Elaina!" I cry as she speeds up the pace and I stop when I hear voices. We creep forward and neel down, the bushes hiding our glowing red markings.

"I can't believe you got that from the Deathsinger." Ria says as she walks over to Senn who is holding the Supporium Prime song. 

"I can't either but he's going to kill me for sure if he finds me." Senn says and pockets the Prime before he can get to mesmerized. 

"Ria Sendaris, Senn, we must move to get the other Prime songs before the Deathsinger does. It's in Crown Peak, right Senn?" A voice says and I freeze as the Tidesinger walks out from the clearing. They nod to him and then follow him away. Without warning Elaina starts shaking my shoulder and I start to feel sick,

"SEE?!" She demands. "We just got valuable information from this trip!"

"And Ingressus is going to kill us once we get back." I say pointing at her accusingly.

"Oh stop." She says playfully. "Let's go before he notices we were gone!"

Elaina then grabs my hand and yanks me up making me run with her down the slope and towards the Vault again. Once we get there a voice cuts out.

"Where were you two?!" A male voice demands, and we turn to see my father walking towards us with the rest of the Voltaris behind him. 

"See." I whisper as they advance towards us. "He's going to kill us."

"No. He's not." Elaina insists and I elbow her side as my father comes over and we both bow.

"Get up I just asked you a question." He says and we get up watching him and Elaina looks sad for a moment then slightly playful and guilty,

"We have no choice but to tell the truth." Elaina declares in an expert voice, and I tackle her to keep her from saying more, covering her mouth.

"The Tidesinger is back." I say and my father unfolds his arms to stare at us and I slowly help Elaina up.

"And they know where the next Prime Song is!" Elaina says and I nod.

"W-why did you even sneak out?" He asks and we look at each other for a believable lie for our reasons but both of us seem to be blank on ideas.

"We wanted to explore." Elaina says guiltily. Ingressus sighs as lets his arms fall lazily at his sides before he straightens himself. 

"Well thank you for your information but you two better not sneak off again." He says and we both nod hurriedly.

"Yes Master Ingressus." Elaina says and Ingressus smiles lightly at her before gesturing for us to follow him.

"It was an amazing idea." Elaina says as we walk behind, and I frown slightly. "Amazing."

"No, it wasn't." I snap.

"I can hear you two arguing back there." Ingressus calls and we stop staring at him.

"What is an animal that has very good hearing and can somehow hear female Voltaris' conversation from a mile away?" Elaina asks me and Ingressus laughs.

"Me." He responds and her eyes widen. He chuckles again then waits for us to catch up to him. He walks beside us, and I start blabbering random things at Elaina.

"You totally smashed that cake on my head!" I start and she gives me an offended look.

"You cannot blame me for unproven crimes!" She argues.

"It is proven!" I say.

"No one else say it but you!" She yells.

"So, you admit it!" I yell back to her, and I can tell my father is keeping from smiling at our argument.

"NO!" Elaina argues. "What do you think? I'm I innocent?" Elaina asks Ingressus and he chuckles lightly.

"I frankly don't know who is innocent in this situation." He says.

"You have to! Make a decision!" I say.

"You're the Clan Master so you're the only one who can stop this argument and save us this war that I will win!" Elaina declares.

"No, you will not win it!" I scream and poke her with my finger, she pokes me back and in moments we're playfully slapping each other.

"Alright you two stop Addy's guilty." Ingressus says just as playfully, and I toss my father an offended glance while Elaina flings her arms up in triumph.

"Ha!" She says. "I win!"

"Why?!" I demand and Ingressus laughs yet again. An owl hoots and I crash into Elaina causing her to stumble and nearly fall over.  Ingressus catches us before we fall and pulls us back up.

"Ky' Ingressus?" A female Voltaris asks, and he looks towards her seriously.

"Yes?" He asks.

"Where must we go now? DO we head back to hailstone or are we going straight for the Prime Song?" She asks.

"Go to Hailstone." He commands and me and Elaina adjust and keep walking.

"Wait wait wait wait." Elaina says and loops her arm in mine putting her leg next to mine.

"Now walk." 

"What?" I ask shocked at her request. 

"It will work." She says and I take a step forward along with her. We eventually end up falling in the snow. Ingressus bursts out laughing and I sit up laughing as well. Elaina sits up a moment after as Ingressus waits for us to get up. I yank her up and she screams like I'm throwing her off of a cliff and I have to catch her before she falls.

"I died." She says. "Plan my funeral Addy and make it have pretty flowers and--"

"Shut up." I say playfully and she grins. "Not in a million years."

Ingressus smiles and we keep walking back to Hailstone.