Chapter 32--Truth

"Oh dear how in the world did you get here?" Sanari gasps then hugs me tight. "How have you been? It feels like it's been forever scince I last saw you, Elaina." 

"H-how--How are you alive?" I manage to blurt out and Sanari looks at me sorrowfully. 

"It was either me or Addy on that day..." She says then I see a flashback of something I didn't think of in Sanari's point of view.

I watch as Addy obediently crawls into the hollow tree, and I turn to face my attackers. Four Ardoni run down the hill towards me, and I grab a nearby branch for defense. One of the Ardoni stops, A Nestoris with pale markings that are almost white.

"You don't want to hurt yourself with that branch, girl."  He snarls and takes another step closer to me.

"Wasn't a little girl with you before?"  A female Sendaris demands.

"No." I lie and a male Kaltaris glares at me coldly.

"There was a little girl with her, her daughter." He says.

"She's adoptive." I lie again not wanting Addy to get hurt. It would shake Ingressus to the very core if once he returned his daughter--his little girl wasn't there to see him. But it would also shake him if I wasn't there either, but it is me or her. I would rather die than have my daughter get killed. 

"No, she's not. You're the Deathsinger's mate and that child has his markings a bit of yours." He hisses and points at my leg where a circle marking is. I arm myself once again with wide eyes.

"Just kill me but leave her alone." I say.

"Oh, we aren't going to kill you..." A male Mendoris says and takes another step forward. "You're coming with us back to our base. But we don't need your daughter anyway."

"Kill her." The female Sendaris commands the male Nestoris. I jump over and tackle him before he can reach the tree then I see Addy jump out from the tree as I pin the Nestoris down.

"Go!" I shout towards my daughter. "Run and don't look back! Go somewhere safe!"

She looks at me with wide and scared eyes. I wish Ingressus was here to protect her. Everything would be so much safer if he was. This wouldn't be happening. 

"Don't worry about me!" I call to her.

"But mommy--" She starts.

"GO!" I scream. "Find your father if you can and if you can't find the Voltaris!"

She whimpers then finally listens to me and runs away downstream then jumps into the water. and I thank my lucky stars that I taught her to swim. The Nestoris flings me off and the Kaltaris grabs me from behind pinning my arms to my back.

"We mustn't let the Voltaris or the Deathsinger have hope that she's alive." the Sendaris says. "Someone will have to take credit for killing her."

"I'll do it." The Kaltaris holding me says. "My clan will reward me greatly."

"Alright Nervious."  The Sendaris says. "But knock her out to make sure she doesn't try anything."

I feel a hard clog on the back of my head, and I see stars then I feel my body slump down and everything blacks out. 

"You really risked your life to save Addy...?" I ask after a long moment of silence. "And got tortured for her."

I look towards the blood on her hair then see several scratch and fire marks. Sanari reaches towards her hair then looks towards me mid-reach before lowering her hand. 

"You noticed? I don't think they'll do it to you though... oh what I would give to get you out of here... you don't deserve this..."

"They were going to take Addy, but they wouldn't risk it due to the fact that the Deathsinger--Ingressus is her father, and he would kill all of the clans if something bad happened to her." I tell her and she smiles lightly. 

"So, she found him..." Sanari says with a light smile. 

"Yeah, but I'm worried about one thing." I say and look around us.

"Oh they don't give us guards sweetheart." She says. "I can't run away."

"Why not?" I ask then look at her legs and see slashes on them and realize that's why she's been kneeling this entire time. "Oh..."

"Now your worry?" Sanari says and looks at me curiously.

"If I know Addy at all she'll be here soon to come save me." I say nervously.

"Ingressus will stop her before she can come save you, he'd be to worried." Sanari says.