Chapter 25--Best friends?

"To the left to the right." Elaina commends as we dance on a frozen lake. To be honest, I'm scared. I'm scared down to the very core about doing this. I start to feel the ice cracking under our feet and in a moment, cold water and bubbles rush up all around me, blocking my vision. I shriek and burst out of the water, grabbing onto the edge of a frozen dock. Elaina pops out a moment later and uses her Mobilium song to skate out of the water. She helps me out and we walk over to a part that's not the frozen lake. Elaina's father, Nerinsis, runs out from one of the towers with a worried expression.

"Are you girls alright?" He asks once he reaches us.

"Yeah," Elaina says as I smooth back my hair and Nerinsis turns to me.

"You father wishes for you to be careful." He tells me and I shrug.

"I try to be." I say and he frowns.

"But you don't." He argues.

"But I do!" I insist. He sighs and Elaina shuffles on her feet a bit.

"Dancing over a frozen lake is not being careful." Nerinsis sighs and I puff up my cheeks angrily. "I'll just go get your father." 

He then starts walking away and I know that there is no point in arguing with him and a moment later my father is walking out from the tower with a stern face. I turn and try to walk away but Elaina grabs my arm and firmly pulls me back. Ingressus eventually reaches us, and I prepare for a very large lecture on safety once he stops in front of us and we both bow. He sits down on a nearby bench and puts a hand to his forehead and sighs, gesturing for us to stop bowing. We stand there awkwardly awaiting our punishment and he just sighs again. 

"Why can't you two girls stay out of trouble?" He eventually sighs.

"We weren't getting into trouble." I say.

"We didn't break anything." Elaina adds.

"You fell through a lake!" He finally bursts out. "Addy, why can't you just respect my wishes?"

"I try to." I insist.

"You snuck off, broke the ice on a lake--" Ingressus says.

"And probably made it easier for the fishers to get food." I add and he pauses at this. 

"I suppose." He says then looks over at us as we stand there looking around awkwardly still. he gets up and walks over to us.

"As a punishment you two are making dinner tonight." He says and folds his arms.

"Why?!" Elaina demands.

"Father!" I gasp accusingly.

"Just get started on it then come find me." He says and walks away.

"What are we even supposed to make?" Elaina sighs.

"I don't know, moldy bread?" I say and Elaina shrugs.

"We can't make moldy bread." She gasps.

"Fine, but I need to talk to someone and see if she's ok..." I say quietly but Elaina still hears me.

"Who is it?" She asks and I stop.

"Uh...." I start.

"She's from another clan, isn't she?!" Elaina asks and I nod hesitantly trusting my best friend to not tell anyone.

"We should go meet her!" Elaina says immediatly.

"But my father wants us to make dinner!" I remind her.

"It can wait." She eventually says after a long pause. "I'll grab the cloaks!"

And within moments she's gone.

We trek through the forest towards Kaltaria and Elaina lets out a startled gasp.

"What?" I ask.

"I never saw what Kaltaria looked like when it was burned." She gasps and I nod.

"It wasn't pretty." I tell her and we stop by a river. I look at my reflection in the water as Elaina glances around cautiously. Suddenly a branch snaps and we both see green markings as Elise jumps off the branch and dives head-first into the water.

"WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" She shouts as she goes down and soaks us both with water. 

"My father is going to have questions." I tell Elaina through my petrified state.

"Oh hey Addy," Elise says as she gets out of the water smoothing back her hair and going around her ram-like horns. She slips closer to us and peers at Elaina. "Who's she?"

"Oh! This is Elaina, Elaina this is Elise." I say.

"Nice to meet you." Elaina says politley.

"You two." Elise says and I smile. We could all be friends.