Chapter 26--Punishment

"Do you think this will work?" Elaina asks as we drag a pig that we caught in the forest back. Its hoofs drag along the ice making an ear splitting 'scrape' sound and I flitch.

"It will, that pig's big enough but I'll tell you one thing. I am not skinning that." I say and sniff gagging once I do. We eventually reach the place where they butcher the animals and throw the pig in.

"Can you skin this and cut it into pieces for us?" Elaina pants and I pat her back. 

"of course." One of the Voltaris says and walks forward taking the pig and dragging it back while another comes up to us.

"Ingressus was wondering where you two were." He informs us and we glance at each other starting to elbow one another for a reasonable excuse. 

"We were getting the pig." Elaina says and the Voltaris nods. We nod as well then walk out to the cooking room.

"That's a lot of food for the entire clan." Elaina comments as I drag and large cauldron of water over and spill some of it on the counter.

"....opps." I say and Elaina just shrugs grabbing the recipe book and soaking up the water with it. I burst out laughing and she throws the now wet book on the ground.

"We don't need recipes! We have imagination." She says confidently and moves her arms out on her sides.

"If that 'imagination' will make this soup not work I suggest you don't use it." 

We both jump as my father walks through the door and over to us picking up the recipe book and setting it back on the table. Elaina pushes it back off and he eyes her.

"We can make so much more with our imagination." She declares. "Father always tells me to use my imagination and go play outside instead of sleeping all day so that's what I'm doing."

"Remind me to tell him not to tell you that." He says and picks the book back up walking away then looking back and pointing at Elaina.

"Don't knock that back down." He commands but once he's gone, she dips it in the cauldron.

"Elaina!" I say accusingly.

"It gives it flavor." She declares and I laugh. 

"Now the vegetables." I say and pull the book out, shake it off and spray some water on Elaina. She sprays water back and it turns into a war.

"Yeah, I think you guys had too much fun doing that." Ingressus says as Nerinsis stands beside him, and they eye us. Both of our fathers look slightly shocked at our mischievous expressions and soaking wet hair. We grin at each other, and Elaina slaps me I slap her back then Ingressus grabs both of our arms before we can slap each other again.

"Did you at least finish the soup?" He asks.

"Yes." We say in unison. 

"Good," he says and eyes us both wearily. "Now Addy go up to your room and Nerinsis will decide where to put you for a bit." He tells Elaina who looks at me sadly.

"Why?" I ask.

"Because you two need a break from each other." He tells us.

"But a break is like throwing us in a prison cell!" Elaina argues.

"Then perhaps you won't fall into a lake again." He says and Elaina puffs out her cheeks in frustration. Ingressus grabs my arm and pulls me away as Nerinsis walks over to Elaina and picks her up and carries her away.

"It's only for a bit." he tells me as I glance back. 

"Fine." I huff as we reach my room in the tower. I go in and he pauses in the doorway. 

"Sleep a bit then come eat when you wake up." He says then shuts the door and I hear it lock. I go back over to my bed and sit down. I grab another book and start reading. I'll try to do what father said.