Chapter One

(People who have already read this book, please do not give out spoilers in the comments

(People who have already read this book, please do not give out spoilers in the comments.)

My window faced the vast gardens of our estate. The view that was hidden away from the world. No one really comes to this side of the garden except for the gardener. He comes twice a week, works for hours and hours on end and then he leaves before sunset. I'm not allowed to see him when he comes to tend to the garden, I'm supposed to close my curtain and sit in the dark until he leaves.

He can not see me or there are going to be consequences.

I sat silently and just watched the calming scenery before me, the soft night light, the chirping of the crickets, and the sky illuminated with a million stars.

I took a deep breath as I yearned to run through these gardens with my hair flowing freely in the wind. I wanted to roam these gardens anytime I wanted without the fear of not being seen, I wanted to play in the dirt, and dance around in rain.

But I couldn't.

My whole life, my whole existence I have been in this room, locked away, safe and secure.

The outside world is not for someone as innocent as you, Evangeline-those are my father's words.

It's what I was brought up to believe in. He told me the things that happen in our world, all the bad things. How people die, how people suffer, how the whole world is out to hurt me.

The world is a dangerous place and you are easy prey, Evangeline. You are innocent and naive and you lack physical strength. This world will chew you alive-this is what I hear in return if I ever asked to go out.

I want to believe it. I used to believe all of it but now I don't know if I do. Not everyone can be bad, right? There are good people too. I wanted to believe my parent's words but lately, there has been this urge inside of me that wanted to explore this world, meet people, have fun, and live like a normal eighteen-year-old girl.

Tearing my gaze away from the garden, I looked back into my room. A desk, a lamp, and a chair are placed in the corner of my room. There is where I study, I graduated high school through homeschooling. I don't know how it happened, I never appeared for my exams but now I have a high school diploma.

Normal kids will go to colleges after the summer but I won't. Even after this summer, I'll be stuck here in this room for the rest of my life.

Turning back to the window, I unlocked it. I opened it a little and felt the waft of cold air on my face. The curtain lightly blew with the wind and I breathe in deeply.

My parents aren't bad people. They love me, they love me too much to let anything bad happen to me. That is why they keep me here in this room.

Safe...

I got off my window seat and made my way to our family picture resting on my nightstand. I picked it up and smiled, it was just us. My mom, dad, me, and Leo.