Chapter One Hundred And Eight

Nikolai has been walking on eggshells around me, it was surprising because I have never seen him act like that before

He hadn't brought up what happened the day I was shot, whenever I asked about it, he turns the conversation toward my health, and whenever I try to talk about divorce; he completely bails on me, and he runs from the scene.

I sighed and looked around the bedroom, being cramped up in here was messing with my sanity. I slowly scooted to the edge of the bed and placed my foot down on the ground.

With the help of the nightstand, I stood up and slowly and steadily walked to the bathroom. I had started taking a shower by myself and doing little activities by my own self. My limbs were slowly getting their strength back but eating was another story. Nikolai forced fed me most of the time, he had hired a nutritionist to prepare a special diet for me, and a physiotherapist, so, my body can get its power back and exercises that improve the blood flow to my legs.

After a long hot shower, I stepped out of the bathroom in a towel and padded slowly barefoot to the ceiling-to-floor length mirror.

I stood in front of it, my legs were shaking a bit I forced myself to stand. I dropped my towel and looked at my body.

I tugged the ends of my short hair, they were reaching the lower part of my neck now. There was a bullet scar over my upper arm-the one Grace Russell's henchman gave me. The other one was over my shoulder, it was still a little red, the stitch marks were still in place and the most despicable one was on my stomach. It was big, red, bumpy and the ugliest mark on my body.

I turned my back to the mirror and saw another same mark on the back, the bullet went through my body leaving behind an ugly scar on both sides.

I sighed before facing the mirror again. The bedroom door opened and I immediately pulled up the towel over my body.

Nikolai entered and I heaved a sigh, "Oh, it's you..."

He frowned, a hint of a smile on his lips. "Were you expecting someone else, my love?"

"My Love"

The endearment sent a shiver down my spine. I don't know where our relationship stood, I vividly remember him accepting his love for me, and the next second the strange look in his eyes scared me to death.

It wasn't easy to let go of the feelings I have for him. You can not turn them off in an instant, it will take time but I think I will be fine. I let out a sigh, If only there was a switch to turn it on and off whenever I wanted to.

I dropped my towel again, I was always comfortable with my nakedness in front of him but today I wanted to see if the scars on my body will bother him or not.

I heard him inhale a sharp breath before walking over to me, our eyes met in the mirror and he gave me a gentle smile.

"Do you think I look ugly?" I asked, it was a genuine question. My hair was my armor and it was just gone, I felt exposed like anyone could peer into my soul and the thought scared me.